Vincent Comet your opinions

madsundaysurvivor

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello everyone,
Let me introduce myself, I am a former drag racing driver in Spain and apart from this I have always liked to ride English motorcycles from the 50s-60s.
A few years ago I had an accident in a race and damaged my hip and back. This meant that I could not kick start the large English single and twin cylinders (i.e. gold star).
I went to buy Japanese motorcycles from the 60s and 70s with starter motors. But these don't satisfy my need for a classic bike.
Now I have decided to sell them and buy a Vincent Comet. I would like you to tell me how hard it is to start with the pedal.
Thank you very much for your atention

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
A well set up Comet should not be difficult to start but it all depend upon what carb and ignition is used.

It is possible to fit an electric starter to a Comet as the VOC Spares company sell them as a kit, so you just press a button to start.

CarlHungness

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Since I have seen a Vincent Twin started just by swinging the kick starter with one's ARM, I suggest you really study the technique, and placement of the piston(s) before you attempt to start the plot. If you'll use the compression release in conjunction with the kick-starter, and once again getting your TIMING right, you'll find the machine will start fairly easily. As noted you can fit an electric starter but it's really not necessary, even with a handicapped hip, once you learn to swing the plot through in the proper position. I fought my own Twin for a very long time so I know what you're going through, but don't give up, and for sure don't try the same procedure over and over. Naturally you have to first determine if everything is absolutely in order, great spark, perfect timing and carburetion. I personally recommend the B-TH ignition for ease of starting and smoother performance overall, especially at idle. As soon as you get the procedure down pat you'll find the bike is relatively easy to start.

Speedtwin

VOC Member
I have singles and twins all are easy to start given they are set up correctly.
My Comet starts first kick it is not difficult to start I also have a DB34 which I find a little more effort to start.
I will be fitting electric starter kits to my twins and my Comet to future proof them against my old age.

My partner is small and slight she can start the Comet with the boot no problem at all.
Al

vibrac

VOC Member
I have a Comet with an electric start with a lithium battery in the original exide box
I have not kicked the bike over to start it since I fitted it. the bike started once after a two month standing
(That time I did use the kickstart to get over compression before I pressed the button I need not have bothered)
and yes its a Honda clutch I fitted years ago Alton electrics
1709891445927.png

nobby

VOC Member
I have a Comet with an electric start with a lithium battery in the original exide box
I have not kicked the bike over to start it since I fitted it. the bike started once after a two month standing
(That time I did use the kickstart to get over compression before I pressed the button I need not have bothered)
and yes its a Honda clutch I fitted years ago Alton electrics
View attachment 61949
my setup too: electric start, alton, conways clutch plus a big bore kit and a proper front brake

madsundaysurvivor

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thank you very much for your advice.
I understand that all the components have to be well tuned, but even so, I ended up selling a '63 Bonneville and a Victor 441 enduro because I couldn't start them. But with your opinions I am once again excited and better if there is the possibility of electric starting,
I have to see it in the store, since I didn't know it existed. I am going to start looking for a Comet, and I will surely ask you some more questions, since I only know these motorcycles from books, I have only been able to see very few in Spain
thank you so much

kerry

VOC Member
May I add, make sure you buy one with auto advance if it has a Magneto, very important in my opinion after having kick backs when forgetting to use or back to front set up.
My experience with starting Comets is that they are as others have said 'very easy' if set up.
I am 75, only 10.5 stone and can start my twin first kick easily 9 times out of 10, go for it nice bikes
Kerry.

nobby

VOC Member
Thank you very much for your advice.
I understand that all the components have to be well tuned, but even so, I ended up selling a '63 Bonneville and a Victor 441 enduro because I couldn't start them. But with your opinions I am once again excited and better if there is the possibility of electric starting,
I have to see it in the store, since I didn't know it existed. I am going to start looking for a Comet, and I will surely ask you some more questions, since I only know these motorcycles from books, I have only been able to see very few in Spain
thank you so much
There is a Comet in Estepona.
Where are you located, if I may ask?
We visite Spain each year for about 2 months.

Mike 40M

VOC Member
Have a Comet. Easy starter. Tried to start Vincent twins, no success. Once upon a time had a Gold Star for a short time. Never managed to kick start it.
The Velocette Venom and the Victor Specials are harder, notorious for difficult to start, needs to follow the right procedure to the letter.
In my humble opinion, the Comet is a very good bike for touring. No difference to ride than a twin, except for lower cruising speed and throttle response.