FF: Forks Steering Damper Surprise

Jim Bush

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Last Sunday, my wife, an experienced 30+years rider was on her B/C Rapide heading back home on Hwy 20 in Washington State, perfect day, sunny, clear, moderate traffic, but road was a little bumpy. She was behind a slow car pulling a trailer, ~40mph, she pulls out, overtakes, slightly over 50mph, raises her left hand to signal return to her lane and wammo... wobble, wobble, then a violent slam of the bars to the right, she was pitched off.

Remarkably she suffered only minor injuries, bumps, bruises, and a concussion. Her protective gear did its job, and is wrecked. Very, very thankful it was not worse. She is recovering well and is looking forward to riding her Vin again.

The bike sustained damage to the right side as it slid down the road. All repairable.

On doing the forensics back at home in the shop - several things came to light, a minor adjustment needed to the top nut (~ 1/4 turn), but the big surprise is the steering damper knob was backed off 2 turns.

In the shop, I tightened the damper knob tight and moved the bars back and forth (with the wheel off the ground) to feel how it was working. Watching the knob, it loosened off a tiny bit each turn to the left, eventually a full 1/2 turn in about 8 turns. I have never heard of this!

Taking the knob off revealed that the previous owner had greased it all up. I guess that is not a good idea.

I have assembled the damper on TDF98 dry and it stays put, evidenced by the red dot staying in same place. This really points to paying attention to these things constantly and having that reference dot.

Looking at it all - sadly for Liz, it really seemed like the perfect storm for an off.... road surface uneven, one hand off the handlebars, damper knob backed off, and steering head with a tiny bit of movement. Lesson learned.

I do have a new Spares hydraulic steering damper that came with the bike, but had never been fitted. I will now be making the brackets and fitting the hydraulic damper and applying a red dot using her favourite Chanel nail polish colour.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Should have the modified steering stem/damper kit installed.........So much info out about this for 10 or more years now, and still most bikes I've seen do not have this done.........well not around me at any rate, as I've installed about 60 or more........best single mod you can do for a Girdraulic equipped bike save a good side stand........Cheers.

Pushrod Twin

VOC Member
Pleased to hear that your good lady is OK and the crash hasn't dampened her enthusiasm. She came out of it better than one of my Section Members who lives nearby, broke all his ribs, shoulder and cracks around his eye sockets. Yes, good gear saved his life, but at 70+, recovery is taking it's time.
Our forensics identified that long bottom damper eye bolts fitted to an AVO damper may have been a contributor, they extend the downward movement of the axle causing it to move forward more than "standard", thus reducing the trail to the point of instability.

It is imperative that the front of the bottom yoke points upwards with a rider seated to ensure there is adequate suspension travel to reduce the chance of suspension topping out and moving the axle forward to the unstable area.
Fitting an hydraulic damper is the next most important.

erik

VOC Member
In fact the standart steering damper is not a damper it is a brake ! To my mind you can use this only with a sidecar not solo.Erik

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
Last Sunday, my wife, an experienced 30+years rider was on her B/C Rapide heading back home on Hwy 20 in Washington State, perfect day, sunny, clear, moderate traffic, but road was a little bumpy. She was behind a slow car pulling a trailer, ~40mph, she pulls out, overtakes, slightly over 50mph, raises her left hand to signal return to her lane and wammo... wobble, wobble, then a violent slam of the bars to the right, she was pitched off.

Remarkably she suffered only minor injuries, bumps, bruises, and a concussion. Her protective gear did its job, and is wrecked. Very, very thankful it was not worse. She is recovering well and is looking forward to riding her Vin again.

The bike sustained damage to the right side as it slid down the road. All repairable.

On doing the forensics back at home in the shop - several things came to light, a minor adjustment needed to the top nut (~ 1/4 turn), but the big surprise is the steering damper knob was backed off 2 turns.

In the shop, I tightened the damper knob tight and moved the bars back and forth (with the wheel off the ground) to feel how it was working. Watching the knob, it loosened off a tiny bit each turn to the left, eventually a full 1/2 turn in about 8 turns. I have never heard of this!

Taking the knob off revealed that the previous owner had greased it all up. I guess that is not a good idea.

I have assembled the damper on TDF98 dry and it stays put, evidenced by the red dot staying in same place. This really points to paying attention to these things constantly and having that reference dot.

Looking at it all - sadly for Liz, it really seemed like the perfect storm for an off.... road surface uneven, one hand off the handlebars, damper knob backed off, and steering head with a tiny bit of movement. Lesson learned.

I do have a new Spares hydraulic steering damper that came with the bike, but had never been fitted. I will now be making the brackets and fitting the hydraulic damper and applying a red dot using her favourite Chanel nail polish colour.
Jim,

Really saddened to hear this and hope Liz is recovering well. It sounds like the swiss cheese affect in aviation, where all the holes line up and cause a perfect s@$t storm.

Best,

Gene

Alyson

VOC Member
Yes, Glad to hear Liz will recover and ride again. Material things can be fixed, and bodies need time to heal. See you both soon !