PR: Proprietary Items Speedometer Stopped Working

Jonathan Lambley

VOC Machine Researcher
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Good evening,
I was out today when all of a sudden I noticed my speedo was stuck at 28mph.
When I got home I detached the speedo cable at the speedometer, which seemed okay, and then went down to the PR32 drive at the front wheel, to see something appeared to be missing from the PR32 Speedo gear.
Any ideas whats happened and what needs doing to fix it? It's been running fine for 10yrs.
I've tried to find a diagram of it but failed.
Thanks
Jon Lambley
20220821_200208.jpg

Jonathan Lambley

VOC Machine Researcher
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Looks like the pinions were clogged up, which locked them up and broke the plastic pinion.
New pinion bought from VOC Spares and new end cap bought from Maughan Engineering, who sell all the speedo gearbox components separately, which was great news.

Attachments

• 20220822_153435.jpg
    20220822_153435.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 4

A Nut

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Jonathan,
Probably just as well that you had a nylon pinion fitted which split when the gears locked up. I think you might have had a much larger bill if the old steel pinion was still fitted!

Jonathan Lambley

VOC Machine Researcher
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Hi Jonathan,
Probably just as well that you had a nylon pinion fitted which split when the gears locked up. I think you might have had a much larger bill if the old steel pinion was still fitted!
Yes indeed, a friend had a steel one and it was messy. Hence why I fitted the nylon one.
Cheers
Jon

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Speedo gearboxes wear quite badly, the shafts ok, but the housing cops it badly........bore out and sleeve it in brass is the fix........they should ideally be removed and greased carefully on occasion........pumping grease into the nipple could easily cause the excess to find its way into the brakes rending the right side useless.

Jonathan Lambley

VOC Machine Researcher
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Speedo gearboxes wear quite badly, the shafts ok, but the housing cops it badly........bore out and sleeve it in brass is the fix........they should ideally be removed and greased carefully on occasion........pumping grease into the nipple could easily cause the excess to find its way into the brakes rending the right side useless.
Sounds like a good idea. Cleaning them up and regreasing every now and then seems a good idea. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: