FF: Forks Shock Absorber

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I still use a Spax Adjustable, On one of mine,
They got taken off the Market because a bloke from AUS got hurt,
But I think there good.
I would go with AVO if I needed one now.

kerry

VOC Member
As I said earlier having tried nearly all may I broaden it a bit, the softest and best by far I found was the Thornton especially on a Comet,
Personally I found the Avo coil over for rear superb, good on the front too if a bit hard but not as good as the ikon. I have used Spax and found them fine, the worst being the originals which is understandable due to age and old technology. The ikon looks the same as the original without the brass filler.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Morning Nigel, Just thought you might want this Blow Up photo of a Standard Shocker,
If you wanted to play,
I stripped one of mine , Only to find the mod's had already been done !,
So I just had to do the Bubble wrap thing.
A late friend, Don Alexander, Did the mod's for me on a a few units, Many years ago.
Look out for the tiny Pin that stops the top, From unscrewing !.
Cheers Bill.

Attachments

• M063FrontshockGirdraulicsColor.jpg
    M063FrontshockGirdraulicsColor.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 33

nigsey

VOC Member
Morning Nigel, Just thought you might want this Blow Up photo of a Standard Shocker,
If you wanted to play,
I stripped one of mine , Only to find the mod's had already been done !,
So I just had to do the Bubble wrap thing.
A late friend, Don Alexander, Did the mod's for me on a a few units, Many years ago.
Look out for the tiny Pin that stops the top, From unscrewing !.
Cheers Bill.
Hi Bill, that’s really helpful as the drawing confirms I have a standard shocker. I’ve noticed the pin you mention and guess it just needs tapping out to pull it all apart. Guess I’ll need some new seals is I can find where to source them. Thanks again. Nigel

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Try any bearing shop, That's where I got the main seal , Don't know if the spares Company stock this stuff ?.
If you want the part number , I think I have it somewhere.