G: Gearbox (Twin) Replacing Master Link On O Ring Chain

CarlHungness

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
About 15,000 miles ago I installed an O ring chain on my twin after narrowing the sprockets. I have sprayed the chain with lube consistently. A couple of weeks ago on my second ride after finally getting the plot running I was in the middle of a curve and suddenly, no forward power. I came to a stop by the side of the road, and lo and behold. the chain had flown off! A local man pulled up next to me and shouted, "Right there..that driveway, push it in. My nephew lives there."
I pushed the bike across the road, and wondered just how in the world the chain had come off. The man said he thought he saw a snake in the road some yards back, and there it was, my chain with no master link.
The last time I installed the chain I seem to recall having quite a difficult time compressing the O-rings where the master link attached and think I used some needle nose vise-grips and finally got the link snapped into place. Evidently I did something wrong, because I've never heard of a master link coming off previously, but it took this one a few years to do it.
For installation of my new chain this time I removed the floppy end of a small C clamp which left a nice sharp point on the end of the threads. I put the link in place along with the master link clip and was able to use the clamp to compress the pair, because the sharp point on the clamp fit in the center of the clip.. To spread the clip I used some snap-ring pliers, and bingo, Bob's your uncle.
I sure hate to admit what must have been my ham-fisted installation of the master link years ago, but evidently I must have cracked the link, or how else could it have come off. The man who told me to pull the bike into the driveway was a real prince. We drove a couple of miles to pick up his trailer and he brought me and the bike home, about a half hour's drive. I wasn't in trouble for five full minutes and

Attachments

• Pliers.MOV
    2 MB
  • Pliers.MOV
    2 MB

LoneStar

VOC Member
Most O-ring chain makers supply an optional rivet-style master link, for which a special tool is used to flare out the pin ends after the plate is installed. These are pretty much immune from coming off.

That said, I run clip-style links on most old bikes without issue - though they're not O-ring, which may increase the odds of separation.

CarlHungness

VOC Member
Never heard of such a thing so learned something today. My C clamp tool sure worked a treat so won't worry about
future installation. The O ring chain is sure my preference.

Alyson

VOC Member
If you are going to use a clip, make sure the open ends is on the trailing end that way it can't catch anything in it's travel and "pop" off. Also, a
friend of mine, the infamous Dave Black, once told me to make a little tab from a beer can that can slip behind the clip and fold it over. Like a
safety clip in effect. Hope this helps, Alyson

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Never heard of such a thing so learned something today. My C clamp tool sure worked a treat so won't worry about
future installation. The O ring chain is sure my preference.
I would say at some point in the near future your chain will come off again, it is not just a matter of pushing the link plate over the two pins with some force, or a G clamp with a sharp point on it, I doubt that will give you a secure enough retention, you really need to peen the link posts over with a hammer once the link plate is securely over the link posts, you need to make the post ends slightly fatter than the holes in the link plate to ensure the plate cannot slide off, but not so much that you seize the link and lose flexibility, when you are peening the two chain link posts, support the rear of the posts with a heavy hammer or something to absorb the shock.

Last edited:

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
I have an “X” ring chain on my Rapide..The manufacturer supplied a minimum/maximum spec for the width of the pins after installation and subsequent compression & flaring of the pins. Obviously too little compression leads to the outer plate coming off…too much compression results in a tight link. Neither is acceptable. I simply used a vernier to measure the width and compressed the pins in several steps.

Speedtwin

VOC Member
A spare split link makes a great toggle for the zip on your jacket.
Allowing easy tug up of the zip with gloved hands.

Also useful when you need a replacement link.
Al

vibrac

VOC Member
This is the tool I use though I cannot recall ever having to use it on a Vincent with its super ergonomic chain adjusters
In 60 years of racing and riding I haven't ever riveted a link :eek:
They get a hard life racing because to save rotating weight use thinner chain and sprockets (1/4")

NzU4LmpwZw