FF: Forks Refinishing Girdraulics

Dave61

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello all,
Probably the start of a long list of advice requests.
I need suggestions on the best choice of finish for the Girdraulics that would be durable.
I had sprayed them with Chassis Black from Frost Restorations & it didn`t look too bad but managed to chip quite a few times while refitting & now they are apart again awaiting Timetraveller`s Modified Steering Stem so would be a good time to have another go.
Had considered Powder Coating but that seems to be undesirable.
Cheers
Dave

vibrac

VOC Member
Why not Powder coating? why undesirable?
A pound to a penny if it had been available back then....
And a bit like those posh resturants NO Chips!

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I am having my Girdraulic parts powdercoated while apart for the new stem.

If the bushes are still a good fit on the spindles, will they be damaged by the heat of powdercoating?

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I powdercoated mine about 25 years and 100K miles ago. They are just fine still.. I did blank off areas where contact with other parts is made so no issues with fits loosening. Would do them again in a heartbeat. There was a couple of deep grooves worn in them which I filled with JB weld. I would challenge anyone to find the spots. I did all the bits but don't recall if I removed the bushings......

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Thanks for all the replies.
I`ve had other bikes parts powder coated but thought the fact that it tends to be quite thick may be a problem, I had the drums done a while ago and the thick layer of powdercoat was preventing the drums fitting the hubs so had to carefully remove to get them to fit.
I was pretty sure I`d read some threads where powdercoating was frowned on so thought I`d ask for knowledgeable opinions before I made a choice.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I remember a club member who had their shadow front drums powder coated. On a continental trip over the alps once the front drums got hot going down a pass due to constant braking and by the time they got to the bottom the powder coating had got that hot it had melted . The drums looked like hedgehogs with powder coating spikes radiating outwards. No it wasn't me.

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
I remember a club member who had their shadow front drums powder coated. On a continental trip over the alps once the front drums got hot going down a pass due to constant braking and by the time they got to the bottom the powder coating had got that hot it had melted . The drums looked like hedgehogs with powder coating spikes radiating outwards. No it wasn't me.
I read this to my Wife & she laughed & said "Didn`t you get your drums powdercoated".