FT: Frame (Twin) Rear Axle Travel

MartyH

New Forum User
VOC Member
Can anyone tell me the distance the rear axle travels from full extension to full compression please. 1954 C UFM. Cheers, Marty

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
It will depend upon which springs you have. The rear axle moves one and a half times the movement of the springs. If you have standard Vincent springs then you might get three inches of axle travel. If Pettiford springs then more. AVO coil over then even more. I'm out at the moment and can give more accurate figures later.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Lots of things to take into account, springs shock absorber travel, maybe struts to the back of the seat for fully floating, etc. I have an AVO monoshock and with the 3" longer seat you have to take into account that the rear guard/lifting handle will likely hit the back of the seat. I flipped the lifting handle over so that it is an inch or two further back. If you do this you need to weld a new fixing tab onto what has now become the right-hand stay. Best if you can remove the springs and move the rear wheel up and down by hand. You will then know what movement you have and what the limiting factor is going to be.
Also the "B" RFM is slightly shorter than the "C" type so you will have a little less movement.

Cyborg

VOC Member
I had assumed it was limited by the shock travel stops.
Comparing a stock spring box, with a more or less stock damper, the spring box becomes coil bound at roughly 2.8” of travel and the damper has 3” of travel, which I think is normal for a completly stock damper.
Actually… your post may have saved me a bit of work. I was thinking I might need to add a stop collar to protect the lip seal I’m using. Now that I know the springs become coil bound first, the stop collar may be redundant.

Last edited:

MartyH

New Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks for the replies. Springs and shock appear standard, so guess 4" max.
Have recently got the bike and it has a very well made rear carrier. But the carrier platform sits about 4" above seat level, which offends my eye. Looking to lower it to top of the seat, but wanted to ensure the lifting handle will not make contact. Seems I will be ok. Cheers.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Checking for that easy. Just support the centre of the bike, remove the springs boxes and leave the damper in place. Then move the rear suspension up and down letting the damper limit the travel. You will soon see what touches what.

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
Thanks for the replies. Springs and shock appear standard, so guess 4" max.
Have recently got the bike and it has a very well made rear carrier. But the carrier platform sits about 4" above seat level, which offends my eye. Looking to lower it to top of the seat, but wanted to ensure the lifting handle will not make contact. Seems I will be ok. Cheers.
Marty,

What type of bike did you buy. I am in Auckland and I am happy to help if needed.

Are you a member of the nz Vincent owners?

best,

gene.