Quick bit of advice please .

MYW 574

Forum User
VOC Member
Hi guys just a quick one and apologies if answered countless times I’m sure it has been . But saves me searching ,lazy I know but I work 12 hour days . Lol

Is there a universal grease that good for all the nipples on the comet. I would have probably used a copper grease for the frame and a softer grease for the brakes and speedo etc . But one grease would be easier to manage . Would be happy with a premium grade .

Secondly engine oil , I was erring towards a morris golden film , any ideas , I was thinking an sae 40 . Would prefer the best , I use millers in my tvrs.

And finally my battery 6v is a real cowboy job I assume naked and some git has put a load of black gaffer tape around it , gotta go .

I believe original are rubber battery boxes , I know they do replacements and are all sealed units these days, that’s ok . I’d like to say saves the distilled water for the wife’s ironing but she doesn’t do that . ( ie use distilled water or iron )

What brand is the most authentic to the machine and year 1952 . Or was it the case buy what they can get or spread the love with a few suppliers . ?

I’ve seen exide
Chloride
And Lucas .

I would prefer Lucas and I’ll paint up the naked rubber carcass but what do you guys use .

Thanks in advance for your help and if anyone has a good chrome plater in the northwest do give me the nod .

Oh and finally . I used to throw a stick up my garden as a kid age 5 .A stick that expanded and had the words Vincent on it . The pump . Mine is missing one , if anyone has a spare apex they would like to part with please do let me know . I assume the £100 plus I’ll be paying for it might retrospectively teach me a lesson . Lol.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Best

Adam

Doug68

Forum User
VOC Member
I used one of these (LINK)) the base is the right size, but it was 1" too tall so cut a slice out of it and superglued it back together.
Also, with most of these finding a modern battery that's a good fit without needing spacers seems impossible.

LoneStar

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I think this is the right size case for the Vincent battery mounting:

For the actual battery, I've used a sealed AGM (https://www.power-sonic.com/product/ps-682/) and more recently made a LiFePO4 battery pack to fit inside the case (https://lsvoc.vincent-hrd.co.uk/lithium_battery.html). You will need spacers, but easily fabricated from stiff foam.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
As far as I know the pumps never had "VINCENT" on them. The originals I've seen are "BRITTON" and possibly pre-war "THAPEX" were used, but I can't be sure of this. Never use grease on a speedo or cable a little in the drive gearbox and the Shadow right-angle drive only, if fitted. The speedo cable a little light oil I've found best. Hubs and RFM pivot half full of High Melting Point grease and hubs need good seals- like "NILOS". Grease brake cams sparingly.

MYW 574

Forum User
VOC Member
As far as I know the pumps never had "VINCENT" on them. The originals I've seen are "BRITTON" and possibly pre-war "THAPEX" were used, but I can't be sure of this. Never use grease on a speedo or cable a little in the drive gearbox and the Shadow right-angle drive only, if fitted. The speedo cable a little light oil I've found best. Hubs and RFM pivot half full of High Melting Point grease and hubs need good seals- like "NILOS". Grease brake cams sparingly.
You could indeed be right there and Britton now you come to mention it does ring a bell .

vibrac

VOC Member
There are plenty of batteries that fit the dummy black rubber boxes apart from the burlen twins
Its a case of measure and search
I fit a lithium battery in mine and it drives the Comet electric start! (sports power hjp14b-fp) plus a lot of money:eek:

MYW 574

Forum User
VOC Member
Thats lovely guys many thanks for your inputs , does anyone have any comment on the oil ? , I think you have covered everything else i needed . A clip in and out LiPo Battery is probably the way ill go as it will make bench charging a doddle, and can take it out of the bike when not in use. Obviously hidden in a rubber housing.

oexing

VOC Member
LiFePo4 batteries in old boxes can be charged by the standard dynamo certainly when the voltage is correct at 7 V , for two cells Lithium type 3.4 V per cell. Or have 4 inside for 14 V voltage, no problem. But do NOT get Li-Ion for the job, their cell voltage 3.7 V is higher and will not be charged fully. Also they are pyrotech !!

Vic
P1110457.JPG

P1110461.JPG

MYW 574

Forum User
VOC Member
LiFePo4 batteries in old boxes can be charged by the standard dynamo certainly when the voltage is correct at 7 V , for two cells Lithium type 3.4 V per cell. Or have 4 inside for 14 V voltage, no problem. But do NOT get Li-Ion for the job, their cell voltage 3.7 V is higher and will not be charged fully. Also they are pyrotech !!

Vic
View attachment 62361

View attachment 62362
that's great thanks for this most helpful , battery tech constantly changing , im not long off ni cad . thanks again very informative and the reason im on here. Best Adam

MYW 574

Forum User
VOC Member
Today I passed my motorcycle theory test , very technical stuff for people that have driven for 30 years , I had no idea that tram drivers signs are signalled by a diamond , I thought tram drivers died out with lamp lighters but I appear to be wrong. I live in the middle of a forest and thought trams died out in the early 1940;s.. Next we are off for 5 days of intensive training with no doubt the deliveroo wannabe drivers should be fun. I hopefully will be riding my comet before I go away for the summer . Although the older you get all this red tape becomes harder to jump over , que the deep heat. Wish me luck. Im up against people 30 years my junior lol.

I bought this machine as nostalgia and a nod to my father who was a big Vincent collector ,and really to go into a home museum , however starting it up , and smelling the nostalgia, I thought sod that , this needs to be ridden . Im very privileged to live in some of the best vistas and views in the uk. I can go to work 10 miles and see nothing but a few stray sheep on the road. Videos to follow as long as I pass lol.