FF: Forks Post war Headrace bearing dimensions

vince998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Would anybody happen to have an old set of headrace bearings (FT124, FT128 + balls) they could measure up for me?
I need the overall thickness dimension when assembled together, (outside lower too outside upper bearing surfaces).

I fitted a set of modified taper roller bearings years ago, i measured the difference between old and new bearing thickness, and the taper rollers where approx 2mm thinner i believe. Not thinking this important, i put everything back together and forgot about it.

I replaced the front mudguard with a new one while the front was apart , and on reassembly, i had minor clearance issues between the mudguard & front exhaust, and put this down to a slightly different mudguard profile. (winter work, so a few weeks later which is why it didn´t click)

On reading John Reynolds "Analysis of front suspension systems" (brilliant read John, thankyou for taking the time to present this) in last months MPH, and comparing data between the Series D & C machines, it suddenly dawned on me how important the positioning of the bottom link is for ride height, positioning of the top link/damper for full extension values, etc
This means i have effectively shortened the distance between top & bottom links by around 4mm, which will allow the fork legs to extend further downwards until the front damper stops the movement? (i think this is probably where the initial clearance issue between the front mudguard and front exhaust started)

This winter i will take it all apart again (everything needs re-greasing anyway) and using thick washers below the bottom bearing and between top clip and top bearing, will try to regain the initial distancing between top & bottom links again.

To get it right, i need to know the overall assy thickness?

Thanks all

Best Regards
Vince