Misc: Charging Systems Miller dynamo flash

Generic Beardy

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Does anyone have a diagram that shows which terminals are the field coil on a miller? Everything I have read talks about wire colour and my comet has a non original loom. So I'm a little nonplussed.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Are you still using the miller regulator, if not you need to take the end cover off and the wire not connected to anything else and disappearing inside is the field coil wire you want.
If you still have the bobbin thing coupled in have a look at Dynamo Regulators Ltd site, they have a dynamo wiring diagram which gives the circuits and their resistances, so you will need a meter to sort out which you need.

Generic Beardy

VOC Member
Are you still using the miller regulator, if not you need to take the end cover off and the wire not connected to anything else and disappearing inside is the field coil wire you want.
If you still have the bobbin thing coupled in have a look at Dynamo Regulators Ltd site, they have a dynamo wiring diagram which gives the circuits and their resistances, so you will need a meter to sort out which you need.
I believe it is all still stock Miller. Has the cutout under the end cover and a regulator in a tin bolted on the side. I'll have a look at that site, ta. I don't recall there being any one connection with only 1 wire disappearing off inside. . Hopefully a session with the multimeter will clarify things!

LoneStar

VOC Member
Here are a couple of diagrams of the original Miller configuration. If the field coil is original, three leads emerge from it, adding complexity. It looks like the wire to be flashed is the one emerging from beneath the end plate and running directly to the regulator, rather than the cutout.

Most of these by now have had the cutout removed and an electronic regulator substituted for the Miller cartridge, which makes for a much simpler circuit.
DVR dynamo.jpg

DVR dynamo circuit.jpg

Generic Beardy

VOC Member
That's very helpful, thank you. I definitely have the original cutout and regulator still in situ. It's exactly as that diagram. The bike has been in hibernation for over fifty years though so it's no great surprise. I think I'll try giving it a flash but realistically -from what I've read - the regulator will be dead. I can see an order from Dynamo regulators ltd in my near future

LoneStar

VOC Member
I'm not sure the regulators actually die from age, except maybe for contacts needing cleaning - but the Miller ones were never well-regarded from the start. I've had good results with the V-Reg2B and DVR2 electronic regulators; both fit nicely in the Miller case. Good luck!