FF: Forks Member had accident - Brampton Fork blade

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member

davidd

VOC Member
David, IMHO they are way too heavy. Nice in appearance but I doubt the bike will handle the same with so much extra weight in front of the steering head. Maybe someone who has fitted a set can post an opinion.

I heard that they were heavier, but it seemed to me that if you filled all the internal spaces with steel (which these do not do) the fork could not be dramatically heavier. I am not one to suggest anything to degrade the handling on a Vincent, but I did run the 8" brakes on the racer, which are approximately 5 lbs. heavier and I did not notice any diminution in handling. This finding could be different on a bumpy track.

The brakes are all unsprung weight while the forks are not. Still, you both make a good point. Fortunately, I don't need a set, and I suspect all of these options will be gone in the near future. Don't wait!

David

greg brillus

VOC Member
The forks from Michael Breeding have heavier wall tubing, this would be the main item adding to the extra weight. He has just recently assembled some complete sets of forks for sale, and these will be the last ones he is going to make. Ray Daniels in the UK has ceased making new forks, so the availability of Brampton's is rapidly disappearing.

Albervin

VOC Member
The forks from Michael Breeding have heavier wall tubing, this would be the main item adding to the extra weight. He has just recently assembled some complete sets of forks for sale, and these will be the last ones he is going to make. Ray Daniels in the UK has ceased making new forks, so the availability of Brampton's is rapidly disappearing.
At some point I think David Bowen said a friend of his was making NEW sets in the UK. Did anything come from this? I have a new spare set just in case. It took a lot of effort to squeeze Ray Daniels for them but worth it now.