Mahindra's New Goldstar 650

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
wasn't there one in the 1000 Clubmans TT once? at least it turned up more than the T and B 650 twins did
seem to remember the Vincents came first:D
The place to be is selling head gaskets for them.
there are good specials about though

Keith Martin

VOC Member
I have restored about 10 Square Four Aerials over the years. Every time I ride one the only word I can think of is "underwhelming".

kerry

VOC Member
Well this Square 4 compared to a Vincent, some good point's, Far lower Price, much less weight, very much lighter steering, will pull easily from 20MPH in fourth, lower seat height which is better for some, far easier to kick start, better side stand, better easier rear stand, and probably more,
I am a Vincent man through and through but I would NOT describe my first MK2 Square Four as "underwhelming" and only one Pheasant usually comes to look at my Shadow, three came to look at the Ariel, proof attached !

Attachments

• P1060275.JPG
    P1060275.JPG
    596.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I think what attracted me to The Vincent when I was a 16 year old callow youth was the shear size of that beautiful engine, filling up the entire space between the two wheels, everything else looked positively puny by comparison, except the Ariel Square 4 that is, but for me it had to be a Vincent, I have never regretted the choices I made.

Howard

VOC Member
Well this Square 4 compared to a Vincent, some good point's, Far lower Price, much less weight, very much lighter steering, will pull easily from 20MPH in fourth, lower seat height which is better for some, far easier to kick start, better side stand, better easier rear stand, and probably more,
I am a Vincent man through and through but I would NOT describe my first MK2 Square Four as "underwhelming" and only one Pheasant usually comes to look at my Shadow, three came to look at the Ariel, proof attached !
Sorry, I had one for 3 weeks. Only bike I thought would benefit from a sidecar. :(

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Hmm, the Super Rocket engine should be good for 40 hp, in the same measuring system that gave my Special Competition Gold Star 41.7 on the BSA dyno with a 1½ GP. I swapped the GP for a 36mm Concentric which should drop that to just under 40. Although the A10 engine is a bit heavier than that of a Gold Star, the difference in power/weight with a rider wouldn't be much different. I have no complaints about the performance of my Gold Stars so I wonder if there's an issue with your engine. Either that, or you have higher expectations for the performance than I do.
I suspect that is it. After reading period road tests about BSA's new " Roadburner" I expected a bit more. The engine is in great shape. The leak down test was excellent. It starts and runs very nicely. A10s just don't make a lot of power.

The other problem is that I have also have a Norton 650ss. The BSA lovers insist that the late Super Rocket is a match for the Norton.
Getting off the BSA and onto the Norton is like getting out of a 1960s VW bug and into a big block Corvette.
Getting off the 600cc Norton 99 and onto the 650SS, same result only moreso. The 99 is even more of a plodder than the BSA.
Many thanks to Doug Hele and his downdraught Norton 650 heads !

Glen

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
As with the Goldstars, all BSA a10 Rocket engines came with a factory dyno sheet.
To my thinking, it looks like a very generous and hopeful curve drawn by a steady hand used to quickly making up the dyno page for each new bike.
Here is a link to some modern day Dyno results for A10s. The gentleman who had this done owns five A10s, all meticulously rebuilt. After break in he decided to dyno tune them to get fueling and ignition spot on.
The results are rwhp.
His 1960 SR has had the 356 cam replaced with the 357 Spitfire cam that came standard in 61 on SRs and all Rocket Goldstars.
Looks like it added some hp.
The only engine difference between his 60 SR and my 63 or any stock RGS is one half point of compression.
So we could maybe say 29 rwhp for my SR or an RGS without much exaggeration?
Shame it doesn't make 30, it sounds much better than 29!

Magnetoman

VOC Member
As with the Goldstars, all BSA a10 Rocket engines came with a factory dyno sheet.
To my thinking, it looks like a very generous and hopeful curve drawn by a steady hand used to quickly making up the dyno page for each new bike.
Having spent a career as an experimental physicist, and having followed the unmasking of several fraudsters, I can say with a high degree of confidence that BSA faked their dyno data. I've analyzed a number of Gold Star dyno curves and they're simply too good to be true. My speculation is they carefully measured some number of engines as they did the development work on a new head, but they then created a "master" dyno curve from the results. Subsequently, they might have measured individual engines at a few rpm, but they then used the master curve to create the rest of the "data" for that engine.