FF: Forks M

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Ok, So the bearings are the full 7 mm wide as I would have expected. Both eyes are a few thou under the 14 mm so it seems likely that at some time someone has thinned them down. I think that when you put them together you will find that the two bearings are just a few thou over the width of the eyes but only by thous.. When they are together let us have another photograph to show the gap at each side. If it is as small as think it will be then the system should work but what I do when I assemble them for people is to put some thick grease at each end to stop water getting into the bearing outer races, The ball races themselves are sealed and lubricated for life so the only reason for this extra grease is to stop any future corrosion. I thnk that you will have a gap of about 25 thou at each end with no shims being used. Norman

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
Thanks Norman. I shall ask Mr. Smith to have a look if he is willing to do so. This may be some weeks or months away so will get back to this thread later.

timetraveller

VOC Member
A quick update to those waiting for hydraulic steering dampers. I ordered a new batch of ten from China five and a half weeks ago, They arrived today so now all I am waiting for is the water jetted/laser cut parts and I will start assembling these. Sorry for the delay. The dampers which have been delivered have a few red/scarlet trim pieces despite me ordering black. The main parts and the bodies are all black. After a five week delay I am hesitant to send them back.