G: Gearbox (Twin) kick start shaft g83 length

deanthebean1968

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
my 51 rapide has a bent kick start shaft g83 , i notice that there are two lengths availiable ,i have a godet electric starter fitted and would like to know if i require the longer or shorter version ,i measured mine at 9.5cm overall length does that sound like the std g83 ?

ClassicBiker

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The longer version was initially created to ensure the stock kick start lever did not strike the muffler on a stock bike. It isn't related to the fitting of electric starters.
Steven

Last edited by a moderator:

stu spalding

VOC Member
The G83 supplied by Grosset was longer to allow for the G82 quadrant to be recessed into plate G50. I don't have mine to hand so I'm afraid I can't say by how much. The G83 in my kit protruded through the K/S by about 10mm and had to be turned down. Cheers, Stu.

Kiwi_Tim

Non-VOC Member
I don't see a long vs short G83 option on the club spares site... who supplies a long shaft G83? since I replaced my muffler my kickstart fouls the pipe and prevents fitting a clamp :(

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Just been in the shed and taken a picture of a standard shaft and the longer one supplied with my Grosset electric start. The standard shaft is approximately 86.5 mm long and the longer shaft is approximately 98 mm.
1569487541674.jpeg

Last edited:

deanthebean1968

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Just been in the shed and taken a picture of a standard shaft and the longer one supplied with my Grosset electric start. The standard shaft is approximately 86.5 mm long and the longer shaft is approximately 98 mm.
thanks ed this is mine ,that came with the starter kit ,bikes never been crashed just bent from occasional use ,incredibly for a solid shaft

Attachments

• 33352C5C-D390-48CE-BF60-36D5EDF2460A.jpeg
    33352C5C-D390-48CE-BF60-36D5EDF2460A.jpeg
    590.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited by a moderator: