G: Gearbox (Twin) Jumping into gear

tom wilson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi, I have a Rapide that when ticking over, out of gear and is then lent slightly over to the left jumps in to second gear even with the clutch out. I think this may be the detent plunger or spring, am I right in thinking this, before I start stripping it out? Helpful comments/suggestions please.

Last edited by a moderator:

clevtrev

VOC Member
Hi I have A Rapide that when ticking over, out of gear and is then lent slightly over to the left jumps in to second gear even with the clutch out. I think this may be the de-temp plunger or spring, am I right in thinking this, before I start striping it out? Helpful comments/suggestions please
It might never have been in top gear since it was made. But I would have to see the camplate to give you an answer. My old Rapide had never been in top. I`ve seen quite a few with this problem, one way or another
Maybe Ron Thomas will chime in, to let you know what was found in his box.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Sounds like it was assembled where the selector fork has missed engaging with 2nd gear, allowing the gear to move as it likes along the layshaft..........Disassembly will find the problem only methinks.

RonandLinda

VOC Membership Secretary
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
It might never have been in top gear since it was made. But I would have to see the camplate to give you an answer. My old Rapide had never been in top. I`ve seen quite a few with this problem, one way or another
Maybe Ron Thomas will chime in, to let you know what was found in his box.

Hi Trevor, I never had any trouble with my 'A' Rapide gearbox and it always selected all gears until one day getting away from the traffic lights a little bit too vigorously something snapped in the box and destroyed the internals. The cure was a Norton box and clutch which was still in it when I sold it.
I agree with Greg Brillus as to the most likely cause of the problem described.
Thanks to Brother Bill for alerting me to this post !

clevtrev

VOC Member
Hi Trevor, I never had any trouble with my 'A' Rapide gearbox and it always selected all gears until one day getting away from the traffic lights a little bit too vigorously something snapped in the box and destroyed the internals. The cure was a Norton box and clutch which was still in it when I sold it.
I agree with Greg Brillus as to the most likely cause of the problem described.
Thanks to Brother Bill for alerting me to this post !
Seem to remember you had an electric leg fitted in France.

tom wilson

VOC Member
Sorry Lads, I read it wrong and told Ron , Tom had an "A" Twin, My head hurts !!, Cheers Bill.
Hi Bill somehow a capital 'A' has entered the text, I have a series 'C' rapide jumping into gear on tickover when leaned to the left partly my fault as I should have said series 'C' presume the 'goblins' got at the text some where and added the capital A : take care, ride safe, best regards Tom

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Thanks Tom, I think Roy has a good idea, But as Greg says, Its got to be a strip out.
Better to do it now because if you get 2 gears at the same time the box will Lock up, And we don't want that.
It's Poss' to strip the gears out with out taking the cam plate pivot pin out, When putting gears back it helps if the bike is leaning over to the Kick start side.
While it is stripped out, Check the Alloy Boss is not cracked and the Pivot pin is tight.
It is a weak spot, I had to have mine welded, Not a nice job.
Good Luck, Bill.

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
Thanks Tom, I think Roy has a good idea, But as Greg says, Its got to be a strip out.
Better to do it now because if you get 2 gears at the same time the box will Lock up, And we don't want that.
It's Poss' to strip the gears out with out taking the cam plate pivot pin out, When putting gears back it helps if the bike is leaning over to the Kick start side.
While it is stripped out, Check the Alloy Boss is not cracked and the Pivot pin is tight.
It is a weak spot, I had to have mine welded, Not a nice job.
Good Luck, Bill.
hi,
you would be well advised to change the selector fork pins for the modified pins that the spares company produce, they are made so that they can not drop out.