G: Gearbox (Twin) How To Peen Over Chain Rivets

CarlHungness

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I posted a few weeks back that after about 15,000 miles the master link came off the chain on my Shadow while on a country road. I replaced the whole chain and put on a new master link of course. I seem to recall someone said I should definitely peen over the rivet holding the link, and wondered just how to do it with the chain installed. I looked at some chain breaking tools, but doubt they'd be man enough to actually quash a rivet much at all. For now I've safety wired the link, first time in over 30 years of ownership, but I don't need to lose another link next season.

davidd

VOC Member
Carl,

Carry a master link on the bike in the toolbox.

Safety wire the link:

Master Link 01.jpg

Sometimes two loops will work best. I usually used one loop and daubed some gasket goo on it to help it stay in place.
100_2737.jpg

I think there is the possibility of damage from peening or the need for too many tools when something goes wrong.

David

LoneStar

VOC Member
You can't peen the pin on a master link designed for a spring clip. Some makers supply an optional link designed to be peened over, instead of using a clip. For these you need a (readily available) special tool to install the link.

vibrac

VOC Member
I think we should stop and calculate probabilities here
List items that could stop a Vincent, somewhere in the bottom quarter is a failed chain link. Its been a long time since the early sixties all those miles, all those races, all that mud and gravel and you know what I am going to say next.... never lost a chain link yet!
Those of you who believe in tempting fate be prepared to smile...

stu spalding

VOC Member
I heard of a racer on the I.O.M. who, when faced with a broken clip on his split link, used a piece of locking wire in the clip groove.
Cheers, Stu.

Alyson

VOC Member
Carl,

Carry a master link on the bike in the toolbox.

Safety wire the link:

View attachment 61358
Sometimes two loops will work best. I usually used one loop and daubed some gasket goo on it to help it stay in place.
View attachment 61357

I think there is the possibility of damage from peening or the need for too many tools when something goes wrong.

David
rather than the safety wire, I use a slice of tin from a beer can and fold it thru the same way as the wire shown above. Make sure the open end of the link is in the trailing position as shown above. Whatever floats yer boat and keeps you moving....

davidd

VOC Member
I heard of a racer on the I.O.M. who, when faced with a broken clip on his split link, used a piece of locking wire in the clip groove.
Cheers, Stu.

I have seen something similar like this photo:

Master Link Wired.jpg

I would do this in a pinch to get home, but I have never had a master link come off, nor has anyone I have ridden with. When racing, I checked for the lock wire and found it missing once, but I started using the goo and I have never lost the lock wire since. I also use the correct pliers so I don't spring the clip open too wide. When racing I changed the gearing for most races, so the spring clip was removed and installed often.

David

Doug68

Forum User
VOC Member
If you are using a rivet style master link, i.e. it has no spring clip then you need a tool like this:

08-080675.jpg

If your one does have a clip, then as per the above suggestions if you are worried about it coming off.