FF: Forks Head light brackets

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I'm trying to sort out a clearance issue between the head light shell and the speedometer bracket on the parts bin special B with brampton forks. Sorry for the crumy photo.... the tip of the speedo bracket, which I believe is a FT179 comes in contact with the headlight shell. The lower headlight brackets are what I "thought/think" are F86/2 which my parts book indicates fit both brampton and girdraulics. I see the spares company lists a longer lower headlamp bracket (F86/1) for B and D. Maybe that's what I have, because if the lower brackets were shorter, it would create some room between the speedo bracket and the H/L shell. So am I supposed to have the longer ones with brampton?
Also... the two bolts holding the speedo bracket on, have shoulders on them. They were in those holes when I acquired the bike, but I'm not sure they are correct. There doesn't appear to be any need for shouldered bolts. Are they correct?

H:L.jpg

Speedo bracket bolt.jpg

Albervin

VOC Member
Is that a Velocette headlight shell? They are quite a bit deeper than a Vincent shell. I can't see the three rivets that fasten the small triangular plate where the brackets fasten.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
That looks like the bolt at the top of a Girdraulic spring box, but those are 5/16" BSF per KTB and the Brampton bolt is 5/16" CEI.

greg brillus

VOC Member
I think with regards to the headlight assembly that Alyn is correct..............Those bolts are incorrect, should be 3/8 BSF setscrew with reduced head hex size. Cheers..............Greg.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Is that a Velocette headlight shell? They are quite a bit deeper than a Vincent shell. I can't see the three rivets that fasten the small triangular plate where the brackets fasten.
Thanks for that.
I'm not sure what it is from. You are correct that it doesn't have that triangular plate. I did wonder about the H/L shell, but going from memory (or lack thereof), I didn't think it was any deeper. That's probably it. I'll measure it and compare to an original.... or if anyone can tell me what the correct measurement is.... or where I can get an original 7".

vibrac

VOC Member
Thanks for that.
I'm not sure what it is from. You are correct that it doesn't have that triangular plate. I did wonder about the H/L shell, but going from memory (or lack thereof), I didn't think it was any deeper. That's probably it. I'll measure it and compare to an original.... or if anyone can tell me what the correct measurement is.... or where I can get an original 7".
I think you will find Vincent Spares is your best bet
A little known fact (Discovered by my eagle eyed wife) is that a S9 Sunbeam (they of the fat tyres and ug green) has the same shell as a series D but with instrument holes in the 'wrong' place But a little judicious hole filling and welding and there you are!Just like Panther gearboxes leaving off the Vincent epithet saves a lot of money

Cyborg

VOC Member
I think you will find Vincent Spares is your best bet
A little known fact (Discovered by my eagle eyed wife) is that a S9 Sunbeam (they of the fat tyres and ug green) has the same shell as a series D but with instrument holes in the 'wrong' place But a little judicious hole filling and welding and there you are!Just like Panther gearboxes leaving off the Vincent epithet saves a lot of money
Thanks.
I looked at VOC spares, but they only show a 6.5" shell and I hope to find a 7" which is what came with the bike originally, plus I already have the 7" rim and lens etc. maybe I'll make up some longer upper H/L brackets in the mean time, so I can actually get this critter on the road. This is assuming that the 7" H/L mentioned on the Works Order Form is actually 7" and not 6.5