PR: Proprietary Items Grosset Starter

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Where is the best place to locate the starter relay? As the relay is only secured by friction in a rubber sleeve I can't see how under the battery carrier is a good place. Also, where is the best place to locate the earth wire for the relay? The bike is being built as a rider's bike not show. As long as any changes are easily/cheaply reversible I am open to suggestions.
Thank you.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
If it was under the battery tray, the G72 long nuts for the dynamo cradle are adjacent, unless the engine has the ET177/185 toggles.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Alyn my handsome, no earth wire to solenoid, battery positive to solenoid & then to starter. Negative to engine crankcase discreetly depending on length you have.Solenoid will not move in rubber holder under battery carrier.

Normski

Non-VOC Member
If what you’re referring to as the earth wire for the relay is one of the two thinner wires which switch the relay then you can either use that to run to your starter switch button and let the starter button earth it out when pressed or if you use the starter button to switch a live feed to the relay then you can just earth it to the battery (best) or frame. Hope this makes sense!

Albervin

VOC Member
Thanks everyone. There are two thick wires, one black and one red. I am guessing the red goes to battery and black to starter motor. One thin wire to the starter button and the other to battery or crankcase. I have also been told (by someone) you need a very heavy duty earth wire from battery to frame. The project is no coming together and all of the fiddly bits are a bit time consuming.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Yes you need a heavy duty wire from the battery, preferably to a frame/engine mounting to provide a good return path for the power going to the starter, so it needs to be AT LEAST as thick as the one to the starter, preferably thicker.

Albervin

VOC Member
Yes you need a heavy duty wire from the battery, preferably to a frame/engine mounting to provide a good return path for the power going to the starter, so it needs to be AT LEAST as thick as the one to the starter, preferably thicker.
From that I assume you do not recommend the "standard" earth point on the UFM? Maybe the engine head bolts?