Goodwood 2023 here we come.........

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The twin was doing 128mph at 5500 with Josh Brooks. While braking is not a problem at Goodwood you need good acceleration
be very careful in the pit lane that's how we came second on the Saturday Josh got booked 10 seconds for 'overtaking in the pit lane'
the change over window is very narrow penalties await digression you need good pit signals yes its 25 mins and that's it
Don't forget your white boiler suit's
(it it doesn't rain I shall have my blue long Teddy boy jacket on)
1693067674333.png

greg brillus

VOC Member
At Philip Island back in 2015 I had the twin geared quite high with a 41 tooth rear and 22 front........it seamed a bit sluggish out of the corners and did not pull too many revs down the straight........went from the 41 to 44 and the bike came alive........The twin would easily rev past 6000 no problem........Its easy to get carried away and over gear the bikes. With modern crank and rods you can rev them quite safely past what they would years ago........Yes the pit area looks busy, and the entry into the pit lane straight after the chicane is important least you don't get cut off as you come in if there is traffic around you......cant believe its less than 2 weeks to go.......All good.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Yes but not for 25 minutes.......and 3 times over 3 days........Goodwood is a pretty taxing race for the old bikes.......and some of the older riders as well......

vibrac

VOC Member
That pit lane entry is very dodgy so when entering keep well over
It would be easy for a following rider to come out of the chicane wack on the gas and hit a slowing rider going in......
I see a certain Mr Dunlop is attending on some exotic Latin machinery, you all had better be good!

greg brillus

VOC Member
Thanks Tim........yes I looked at the footage of Josh nearly collecting that slower rider coming into the pits.......they need to put their boot out way before the chicane like Ben did.......Yes we only have one cylinder.......A bit hard against a 3 cylinder........i heard a rumor that they were going to try to stop them from entering some how.......Same bike a few years back did not finish for some reason.......that's racing for you.

ben kingham

VOC Member
Hi Greg, I will be camping there from the Thursday.
The pit lane entry is dangerous, the exit from the last corner is the entry to the pit lane.. and riders not coming in I guess are doing over 60mph+ (we were doing 90 by the finish line speed trap) pit lane speed limit is strict 20mph but it doesn't actually start until inside the pit wall so best not to slow down too much until you are nearing that line. Pit window in the race is between 8 and 16 mins of the 25 min races, I found it difficult to see our pit board to come in, there is another huge sign just by the chicane that says pit window open/closed but I couldn't see that either! (getting old and blind maybe) there's a 30 min practice on the Friday to get all this sorted, but its also qualifying for grid position, so not a lot of time for 2 riders to get used to the bike, track, rider change and everything else.
I'm riding a Matchless G50 I've never ridden or even seen before that came 24th in 2021, so I'm not expecting much, I'm just thankful of the chance to be part of this fantastic event again a year earlier than expected. We can bring the Vincent twin back next year for the up to 1955 meeting with a bit more knowledge.

If you need anything bringing down from VOCSC let me know and I can bring it down with me.

See you there!

greg brillus

VOC Member
Hi there Ben.......yes all good info there........Looking forward to catching up.......We have a lunch meeting with Alan Cathcart when we get there on the Wednesday.......He is keen to know all about what we have done.......Don't need anything from the VOC spares co, and I am going to call in and pay them a visit on our travels after the event.......Not sure who our pro rider is yet, I was hoping for Levi Day but no guaranties just have to wait and see I'm guessing.......apparently our bike is one of only about 3 bikes that isn't a Manx or a G50 Matchless........Must be difficult getting other suitable bikes, which seems mad considering where the race is........Cheers........Greg.

rapide049

Non-VOC Member
Hi there Ben.......yes all good info there........Looking forward to catching up.......We have a lunch meeting with Alan Cathcart when we get there on the Wednesday.......He is keen to know all about what we have done.......Don't need anything from the VOC spares co, and I am going to call in and pay them a visit on our travels after the event.......Not sure who our pro rider is yet, I was hoping for Levi Day but no guaranties just have to wait and see I'm guessing.......apparently our bike is one of only about 3 bikes that isn't a Manx or a G50 Matchless........Must be difficult getting other suitable bikes, which seems mad considering where the race is........Cheers........Greg.
Give Alex Sinclair a call , His Dad Ian said He is available