G: Gearbox (Twin) Gearbox cover boss

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Can anyone give me an idea as to how high the boss or stop for the G97 should be? This one is worn off and don’t have a decent one to compare it to. Please and thank you….

6BE99F8B-500B-44A0-87CE-753713A3AACE.jpeg

greg brillus

VOC Member
face of the cover to the top of the lug is 0.540" and the height of the lug in the cover is around 0.250" so not very high.......Cheers...... Greg.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Thanks Greg, much appreciated. I can lay down a couple of beads with the TIG…. hopefully without any issues.

I bead blasted the cover, which I normally wouldn’t do, but this one needs some help and will be painted anyway. Bead blasting was followed with a session in the oven just to see what would come out of it. The cover is quite porous compared to others I have seen. I was surprised at the amount of oil that came out of it considering it’s an outer cover and wouldn’t normally see that much oil.
A8D3F00F-B94B-48EA-B511-C33C2DB38D7B.jpeg
D92A9D87-BDA4-48DE-9BC0-D1536634C8E8.jpeg
5B1CCE0A-6D7C-4FC5-BCE5-BCB9DC0FA061.jpeg

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I measured the height of the boss on the "I've been in pieces since 1955 Rapide" and the top of the boss is still very clearly "as cast" and it measured 3/8 high. Next time out i can measure down from the face if you like! maybe even take a picture.......

Cyborg

VOC Member
A little higher might be better if the G83AS is shifted left (recessed into that new French G50)? Not sure if that makes sense. I have 2 covers and both are beat up in that area. Because the G86 spacer was too narrow or worn? Just guessing because I don’t have all the bits in front of me.