G: Gearbox (Twin) G92 spring etc.

stu spalding

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Chris, when welding the K/S cover corner back together it is a good thing to extend the weld to the nearby crankcase stud boss. It won't break again! Cheers, Stu.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Come on Chris, if I can do it then anyone can. All you have to do is turn the engine over a couple of times with the kick starter to make sure it is not in gear and that everything is free and then let go of the valve lifter lever half way down the next stroke of the kick starter. This way one is using the rotational inertia of the flywheel to aid the force of your foot. I'll bet that if you try it a few times you will be an expert.

Vince Farrell

VOC Member
A series "B" Kickstart cover. It fits the same as the "C" series cover but the casting is different giving a different look to the exterior. Perhaps somebody will post a photograph.

The cover Ed refers to is the 'early' cover, also fitted to early 'C's.
Later 'B' models probably used the later weak cover.

Vince Farrell

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Come on Chris, if I can do it then anyone can. All you have to do is turn the engine over a couple of times with the kick starter to make sure it is not in gear and that everything is free and then let go of the valve lifter lever half way down the next stroke of the kick starter. This way one is using the rotational inertia of the flywheel to aid the force of your foot. I'll bet that if you try it a few times you will be an expert.
I am having a bit of trouble of late, It's OK if it starts soon, But after that !, Not sure if it's old age or bad back.
If I had the choice I would fit the Kicker down a spline, I like the bottom square on, But needs must.
But I don't think I can with my Twins because of the rear footrests. Cheers Bill.

druridge

VOC Member
Gearbox outer cover back from the alloy welding, I’m well pleased with the way it has come up,still needs a final buff. For info the picture shows the plunger G97 pushed all the way home into G98, not too much take up possible on the spring..although remember the threaded part of the cover is also in the way..
8DD955B0-7628-4FD2-BD2E-DDE5C1C5CB29.jpeg1BC35123-E2D5-4070-8D23-C321A815FB7B.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

clevtrev

VOC Member
I have to admit to generally starting the bike on the Hills centre stand; where a mate mentioned I was starting the bike 'lustily'(!)
Bike is fitted with a Grosset starter, maybe I had better start using it a bit more.
On a related matter, I forgot about not rolling the bike back in gear once and locked up the starter. I've been since told that if the bike is then rocked forward (still in gear), it is freed off. Is this correct?
If you have a Grosset starter, leave out the spring and plunger. the quadrant stops against the modified G50 plate.

druridge

VOC Member
Wouldn’t the quadrant crash into it without the spring to absorb the force? From a rough measure when the plunger is fully home into G98 they are combined length of 0.8” proud of the cover, the spring itself is about 0.9” long when coilbound. There is 0.3” from the the edge of the machined quadrant in G50(ES) up to the lower screw hole. It’s all pretty close but I still think the force came through the coilbound spring first to punch off the bit of the cover

Attachments

• 85F80818-8A86-4E46-A423-DB415A729A04.jpeg
    85F80818-8A86-4E46-A423-DB415A729A04.jpeg
    351.6 KB · Views: 30