Dynamo Refurbishment Lucas E3L on my D

Speedtwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Chris,Erik,
The cost of the refurbishment and conversion to 12v is very good and handy for me at the moment, I will send today and have back on Tuesday.
Just need to get it back on the road miss riding it so much.

I have too many projects for the road this summer and time is the enemy at the moment so farming this out to save a hundred quid is a necessary evil.

On the Alton, Erik love the idea, but will need to change the polarity of the machine to negative earth.
Not a big deal I know but time is ticking away.

Electronic ignition conversion of the D from 12v coil and points is a great idea and booked in to do this winter.
I will do a re wire and update the generation on the D during the winter electrics process along with the electric boot.

Hard to believe I am planning this far ahead............

Any information on a perfect 12v system is greatly received.
Al

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Looking at forward plans for the D, I have made an about turn/diversion.
I have an Alton 12v kit on the way.

As I am going down the electric start route next winter, I am going to start the update process now.

Will refurbish the lucus for the shelf/Rapide.

Any advice on the transformation positive to negative during electric start project gratefully accepted.
Thanks in advance.
Al

LoneStar

VOC Member
To Erik's points, I have well over 3000 miles on my dynamo without any troubles surfacing. Given their simplicity, dynamos are quite reliable once brought up to good condition. And judging from the frequency of complaints about failed Altons, I think it's at least an open question whether they're more reliable.

But if you require electronics, and they draw more than c. 20 watts, the Alton may be the only choice.

oexing

VOC Member
When you are allright for some nice lathe job you could have one three phase brushless servo motor from Aliexpress. They come in 4 sizes, same o.d. but 4 lengths as you want them for power. Starting from 100 W up to 400 W , yes, they are motors but when driven and hooked onto a three phase rectifier plus voltage converter down to 13.8 V you will never run out of power. I tested them on the bench with 3 quartz bulbs of more than 200 W at 13.8 V - ran out of quartz bulbs. My old notes say 210 W 14 V at 2800 rpm. Or another test seems to show 100 W 14 V at 2520 rpm , or
155 W 14 V at 2670 rpm.
So that means around 10 percent less crank speed as the dynamo sprocket runs faster than the crank. I skimmed the servo motor case a bit for 68mm o.d. to go with the B Rap type engine that had a bit of milling for exact position of generator, no excentric shaft type here.
There are smaller servo motors certainly but less powerful, depends on your desires about electric power needs.
See my links for prices, the servo around € 80.- , rectifier maybe € 5-10.- and converter 20.- - 25.- . These converters do NOT heat up the generator like most primitive motorcycle regulators. Only the rectifier needs a little heat sink at 200 W , a piece of alu will do.
You can see all bits in the photo on the test bench, simple to connect: The three wires from the generator go on the 3 input connectors on rectifier. Out comes DC but up to 40-50 V unregulated. So positive and negative into the converter and the output connectors supply 13.8 V for battery charging and all - simple.
I made special end caps onto the servo motors with two side by side ball bearings for higher loads from Vincent triplex chain drive - you never know - and I did an o-ring groove as well for sealing the primary there.

Vic
brushless servo motors

converter

rectifier

P1070058.JPG

P1070276.JPG

P1070089.JPG

P1070256.JPG

P1090664.JPG

John Cone

VOC Member
There is nothing wrong with the original coil ignition system. Having been in the motor trade since the 60's i would prefer to carry a spare condenser and a set of points. The electronic variations seem to be good, but when they go wrong it's a ride home on a recovery truck

twobyfour

VOC Member
"I have had a quick look one well known dynamo company is offering a 12v conversion with 150w.
Cost is around 300 quid for the refurb and upgrade." -
Speedtwin

Would you please let us know which company can do this with a Lucas E3L? It sounds like good value.

Speedtwin

VOC Member
The guys from Rutland offer the 12v conversion service for the Lucas 3L and described as the total refurb is 280.00 not sure if this is ex vat.
5 Year guarantee include all the new bits needed,armature and windings for 12v.

Peter is off on holiday from next week for a fortnight.

twobyfour

VOC Member
The guys from Rutland offer the 12v conversion service for the Lucas 3L and described as the total refurb is 280.00 not sure if this is ex vat.
5 Year guarantee include all the new bits needed,armature and windings for 12v.

Peter is off on holiday from next week for a fortnight.
Great, thank you.

greg brillus

VOC Member
I hope you used some thread sealant on those clamping screws Vic........those holes pass directly into the gearbox shell.......

timetraveller

VOC Member
Be careful with converting a 6v dynamo to a 12v system. Years ago I fitted the 'Bell Conversion' which used a different armature, field coil and regulator. It worked so I could never ask for my money back but I did not find it did what I wanted. Before it would charge one had to really rev the engine before the charging would cut in. One night I was returning from the local club night on very narrow country roads and the bike behind me was an open 'D' fitted with a car alternator. On some of the slower corners I had to either drop down a couple of gears to keep the revs up or the light would yellow as the charging failed to keep up with the electrical demand. My own light was almost invisible compared with the bright light on the bike behind me. It was this experience which led Dick Sherwin and I to develop the Walkernator. With those one never sees a discharge on the ammeter on a twin.