Dynamo Refurbishment Lucas E3L on my D

Speedtwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Evening All,
Looking for a recommended company to refurbish my 6V Lucas 3L from my D.
It is running a 12v system.
Positive earth.
Anyone experience with the full 12v conversion of the dynamo or any good lads or lassies who do a good job would be greatly appreciated.

What are the alternatives?
Pulled it out tonight to find a welded in brush on one side.
Looks tatty seem to spin fine.
Thanks
Al

LoneStar

VOC Member
Dynamos are pretty simple - field coil, armature and brushes, mainly. All these are available for the Lucas E3L from various suppliers, and pretty easy to replace as needed. Conversion from the original 6V to 12V is done by installing a suitable regulator; installing a 12V armature also is considered wise, though not essential.

Not sure what you mean by a welded-in brush, as they're carbon.

erik

VOC Member
I agree with Gary! With your old generator converted to 12 Vols you will have no power ! Maybe 50Watt at 3000 revs. It it that what you want? Regards Erik

Chris Launders

VOC Member
12v armatures and field coils are readily available as are the bearings etc, they are an extremely simple piece of equipment, especially if yours is already complete.
"Matchless Clueless" is a site with all the information about testing, fault finding and getting the most out of one.

erik

VOC Member
And a satnav ? And doing a 3000 miles tour ? Charging your mobile ? And reliebility against the Alton?

Speedtwin

VOC Member
I have had a quick look one well known dynamo company is offering a 12v conversion with 150w.
Cost is around 300 quid for the refurb and upgrade.
The bike is currently 12v positive earth and has a v2 12v voltage regulator.

One of the brushes was stuck, had swollen and welded itself to the carrier.
Looked like it was in constant contact with the armature.
Hence the whining noise I was getting from the unit as it tried to motor when power was on pre start.

My plans with the D are to make it my everyday bike I am starting with a great package and would like to have good charging and lovely electrics, mine are all working and original, for the enviable electric start upgrade due to impending old age.

Options:
Alton 12v and new regulator
Re do the EL3 to 12v with a decent output for charging an 8 amp hour battery fitted at moment.
Looking for a value for money set up.
Thanks for all your input folks.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
If you're planning on an electric start then an Alton is probably your best option, as for having someone rebuild your dynamo you are wasting a lot of money, they are simple to work on, no special tools are required other than an impact driver for the field coil screws, a 12v armature and field coil are about £120, brushes and bearings are a few quid each.

erik

VOC Member
For an every day driver I would recommend the part with the lowest maintenence,if not maintenence free. Electronic ignition and the brushless Alton generator.Fit and forget.And a multiplate clutch for running with oil.