ET: Engine (Twin) Checking the Cam timing on a twin

erik

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
If you work against the valve springs makes exact adjusting impossible. With the use of the rubber tape the pushrods and camfollowers stay in permanent contact to the cams. Relying on gravity is not safe. Erik

Last edited by a moderator:

robert shennan

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I copied Eriks design using one pushrod cut in half and one old clutch pushrod cut in half with two bits of flat steel for the landing surface. It was easy to use and cost nothing to make - Our postman supplies the elastic bands :)

gmcculloch

New Forum User
VOC Member
All excellent stuff, thank for the rapid replies.

So, you zero the DTIs at TDC on the compression stroke, then rotate the crank roughly 176° to where both valves show the same lift? If that is the case, both DTIs will show +0.120" as both have opened - would they not?
The most accurate way to measure the lift is to take out the valve adjusters and use a length of old hollow car aerial or similar cut to length between the pushrod and the dial guage.

ernie

VOC Assistant Secretary
VOC Member
Quick test. With rear cylinder on the exhaust stroke. Crank 4 degs BTDC. Notice that the slot in the rear cam end points straight up the centre of the cylinder. The slot in the front cam end points vertically down. Ignore the dots. Watch the slots.

The slots are accurate because they are used in the setting of the cams in the pinions.

PS- in this setup is a good chance of checking ignition timing. One complete rotation of the crank and the rear piston is on the firing stroke, the slot pointing at the crank. In this position, the mag points or whatever, fully retarded, should be about to open.
1714515687087.jpeg

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
I am not sure about the rubber band system there are many variables between the push rod ends and the movement of the valves I have about 15 rockers and the difference in the curve of the fork faces is amazing then we have adjusters, stem collars... I think i will stick to the valve cap method for the twin and reverse assembly for the comet

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
And the whole shit in this is the backlash on gears.

As the other cylinder is also in mesh.

Best do it with only the inner valve springs mounted

erik

VOC Member
The question is how much precision is necessary because of the Rest of the system . My system does the Job for a standard motorcycle.

greg brillus

VOC Member
You just set them up per the book......they are not fussy or exact like a modern engine.......there are so many variables that can be out on these engines and they still seem to run.......different barrel heights, different comp pistons, ignition that is 30 odd degrees over advanced.......and so on......years of use and abuse from some owners, but they keep on going like an old steam engine.

vibrac

VOC Member
And the whole shit in this is the backlash on gears.

As the other cylinder is also in mesh.

Best do it with only the inner valve springs mounted
It certainly is worth always trying to do your adjustments with the engine in forward stress and certainly 4 degrees BTDC can be 6 or 2 and I doubt that anyone could divine the difference