Cheap Bike Lift?

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I watched with the sound off, so maybe he addressed these. I would have been happy with fewer slats under the plywood and a wider and longer ramp. I wouldn't dare to roll my lift around without having the bike tied down and from a wider crossbar; I don't roll mine around anyway as it would roll when I tried to go up the ramp. Putting a wider crossbar on the video design would be tough. The front wheel chock is okay until you want to work on the front wheel, although you can back the bike into it. Paint with grit in it would be nice on the platform for the inevitable oil drips/spills.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
A little more metal and less wood for me,
And I don't trust those front wheel chocks, I would be afraid of damage to the wheel,
Funny watching him with the little run up ramp,
I am now finding it hard getting my bikes up on to the proper Bike Lift,
Because of my lack of space,
I often back them on, But I think there will be a Disaster soon !, Too Weak !.

But I thought a good idea, I have the small lift, About £130 instead of £400 ish ?.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
His wheel chock looks like this one that looks pretty safe for wheels by the way the tubes flare out from the tyre points of contact. Using rims slightly narrower than modern manufacturers recommend helps, too.

69026_W3.jpg

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Having had a few Tank Slappers etc,
I would not like any kind of sideways stress on my front wheel,
I have seen this type of thing on bike trailers, Never liked the idea,
Never needed to use this sort of thing, I have done a lot of trailering for Racing.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Definitely do not use that type of front wheel chock as the sole means of support, I use one in my van, but solely to prevent forward movement when braking, but also in conjunction with 4 ratchet straps, the bike does not move 1mm!

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
I suspect the reason he used wood is he is working on a tight budget. The lift tables jumped up from $300 last year to $600 this year. The lift that he modified in the video went from $79 last year to $139 this year. Those prices are for new at Harbor Freight. If he were to purchase steel to use instead of wood he would be at right around $600 so not saving anything. A used lift like he used is currently running anywhere from $50 to $125 and a used table starts at around $300, if you can find them. So really he is streets ahead financially.
Steven

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Funny Old World, I built the Wife a garden chair in wood,
Cost me just under £500 , Just in wood !.
I didn't cost it out first, Just started building.

I was only thinking a few cross bits on the Lift,
Across the 2 main angle irons he used, I have some short scrap Angle iron.

I bought Ron's old bike lift when he moved from near me some years ago,
He got fed up of moving it from place to place, And Dug out a narrow hole in his new workshop
floor, To put his feet in, !!, Works out the same sort of thing, Clever Old Sod .
I can't roll around on the floor anymore.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
This video is interesting

Fixed height and I think the caster attachment is too complicated. Also, I still would want tiedowns to a crossbar at least 24" wide for stability.