Misc: Charging Systems Charging System Problems

moto8500

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am running a Alton a/c generator on the Shadow. While there is no load in the circuit it charges fine but once a load is applied the ammeter needle sits stubbornly at minus 6 and when I increase the revs the needle swings wildly between -6 to +6 resulting in a discharged battery after 50 minutes in slow moving traffic when the lights are on.

Any idea what is going on?

Ralph

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
I'd start by checking all connections, especially ammeter and earths, then I'd check the condition of the battery. What type of battery and does it hold a charge when trickle charged overnight, for example.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I am running a Alton a/c generator on the Shadow. While there is no load in the circuit it charges fine but once a load is applied the ammeter needle sits stubbornly at minus 6 and when I increase the revs the needle swings wildly between -6 to +6 resulting in a discharged battery after 50 minutes in slow moving traffic when the lights are on.

Any idea what is going on?

Ralph
What vintage is the Alton?
Does it have 3 wires or 2?

Glen

bmetcalf

VOC Member
The rectifier in the the regulator would take care of that, since they are ac alternators.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
It sounds like it is hardly charging at all and the needle swinging is down to vibration, my Norton does that when not using the lights.

moto8500

VOC Member
Thanks for the replies. The vibration theory is a good one but does not explain why the needle does not swing wildly when there is no load in the circuit. It's a Alton 12v ACGO1 with two wires coming out and four wires ( yellowx2/red/black) from the rectifier. The battery charges on trickle and holds the charge and seems to be charging according to the ammeter needle when there is no load in the circuit.

With the needle swinging from + to - to + again when a load is applied I wondered if the a/c from the Alton was bypassing the rectifier but then the headlight would flicker surely but it doesn't.

Wiring looks all good at the battery end so I need to chase the earth and as a starting point where should I look for it?

timetraveller

VOC Member
Assuming it is a negative earth system then there should be one wire from negative on the battery to the rear of the UFM and another wire from the negative on the battery all the way to the inside of the headlamp.. Have you checked that all the connections inside the headlamp are tight?

Last edited:

moto8500

VOC Member
Thank you for the pointers and I will get weaving when I am next in the garage. It looks as if it is pointing towards a connector or ground issue.