Carburetor paint.

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Here’s a few. I have other NOS ones, but on some, the colours are quite bright, so unsure if lighting played a factor. They look weird to me. “Sprayed with durable and attractive metallic lacquer“ Definitely not fuel proof…resistant maybe. The bike is Len Hardy’s Lightning with <200 miles and stored inside. Faded, but still visible. I think the different shades on NOS carbs speaks to the “cheapest paint available“ comment.
On the used carbs, it’s obvious that fuel residue etc also makes a difference. I had a look at my float bowl, and I’d say 95% chance it’s NOS. It’s not a TT float bowl. There are no signs of crap inside the bowl and you can still see the “Amal” cast in at the bottom ( inside). I suspect there are lots of folks who don’t know is says Amal inside there because it has rotted away or been scraped out along with the crud. It looks a little more silver in real life. The bride’s green placemat probably isn’t the best background.

IMG_1099.jpeg
IMG_0910.jpeg
IMG_0915.jpeg
IMG_0927.jpeg
IMG_0979.jpeg
1954 Black Lightning-07.jpeg
IMG_5753.jpeg

Last edited:

litnman

VOC Member
I have a pair of TT carbs that was purchased in the 50s and the color is very similar to
the carbs on the Hardy Lightning. They have never had fuel in them.

Keith Martin

VOC Member
klasskote.com

I have been using this paint for model airplanes on Amal carbs for about 10 years.

Attachments

• IMG_2929.jpeg
    IMG_2929.jpeg
    337.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2930.jpeg
    IMG_2930.jpeg
    252.9 KB · Views: 32

Cyborg

VOC Member
I must have misspelled something, because when I hit search, it took me to a webpage that showed something rather frightening. I haven’t taken any formal training in anatomy, so not sure what to call it...couldn’t back out of there fast enough. Once at the correct site, I see that they will do custom colours. Probably a good source for the Amal TT paint if one could make a colour swatch to send them.

Last edited by a moderator: