Carburetor paint.

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
A lot of Amal carburetors came painted from the factory. Has anyone found a paint that can withstand modern fuels? Something other than epoxy ( just for simplisity) would be preferred, but if that’s the only route….

LoneStar

VOC Member
I've used VHT Caliper Paint, Cast Aluminum (SP735) with good results. You bake it after application to improve resistance. Gasoline from tickling the carbs doesn't damage it, and the residue comes off safely with WD40.

20220514_190442.jpg

bmetcalf

VOC Member
A search here should turn up some ideas. I do remember that nitromethane-resistant model airplane paint is an option.

Cyborg

VOC Member
A search here should turn up some ideas. I do remember that nitromethane-resistant model airplane paint is an option.
Please don’t mention model airplanes. I wake up screaming because I have nightmares about those things. Although…. This is interesting.

Eastwood used to sell some decent stuff, but no longer available.

Cyborg

VOC Member
I've used VHT Caliper Paint, Cast Aluminum (SP735) with good results. You bake it after application to improve resistance. Gasoline from tickling the carbs doesn't damage it, and the residue comes off safely with WD40.

View attachment 61726
Thanks for posting that. I should ask one the local paint gurus if they can mix custom colours of a paint similar to VHT. Then I could get some of the light bronze/gold coloured stuff.

LoneStar

VOC Member
I think the VHT, though satin, is glossier than the original Amal paint. But should it have a bronze tint? I've seen that on carbs, but assumed it was an artifact of aging and gasoline exposure on 70-year-old silver paint.

Anyone have an original-paint Amal component that's been away from light since 1949, to check the paint finish?

Cyborg

VOC Member
I think the VHT, though satin, is glossier than the original Amal paint. But should it have a bronze tint? I've seen that on carbs, but assumed it was an artifact of aging and gasoline exposure on 70-year-old silver paint.

Anyone have an original-paint Amal component that's been away from light since 1949, to check the paint finish?
I have a bunch of photos showing carbs (some NOS) that were painted with what I would refer to as a light bronze and some that are fairly dark. These are all Amal TT carbs that I’m referring to. I did a fair amount of digging on the subject and somewhere amongst the pile, there is a copy of an Amal TT carb brochure that mentions the coating, but doesn’t give any detail IIRC. I’ll try and dig that out if you wish.
A fellow deep into the Vincent spare’s business in Boston, mentioned a conversation with a fellow from Amal back in the day. When asked what kind of paint, he replied “ the cheapest”.
I have a silver float bowl, but I don’t know if it’s NOS or someone painted it. I’ll dig it out and give it a closer look.

LoneStar

VOC Member
I looked through some Amal documents, and could only find this, in a GP brochure:

"Finish: Bodies sprayed with durable and attractive metallic lacquer."

Not much help there. I think KTB refers to a thin coating of silver paint on the Standard carbs used with Vincents; racing carbs could have used different shades.