FF: Forks Brampton steering stem bearing service

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Craig
There is nothing to wear on the links FT213 R/L. If you are seeing movement in that area then the problem could be worn spindles FT218 or worn bushes FT228 which are pressed into the main fork blades and the head clip FT210.
If you have never dismantled or assembled a set of bramptons then take loads of photos, read up about them, and proceed carefully, especially when assembling the spindles and links as there are LH & RH threads which engage at the same time so the links go on equally. Also four hands makes it a lot easier than two.

I would still check the head bearings first as that is easy to do and may save you a whole load of heartache.

Simon

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
It looks like SFB "take it all apart first" Craig has misdiagnose the Brampton issue.
It is the slop in link tightness of the Bramptons, which looked to be classic headrace issue.
And now Rapide is all apart - no ride today, did 110 miles yesterday, thought i would fix an easy issue.

It does appear to me that the loose upper FT213 link has actually worn the thread area larger in ID.
Re tightening takes the slop out, leaving FT222 still rotating, and seems a fix for now since i cant find FT213s.

I did put this Brampton front end on a decade ago, but the details are not remembered.
Yes i remember scrapping the head stock paint. putting in rags.
I think i had to put the upper spring bolt in while spring was in place. other wise no fit.
Thanks to all, i am reassembling. PIA
Craig
20210714_SteeringStemBrg3.jpg

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
Another question please
There are no threads in FT229 to tighten the Brampton steering head ball bearings?

20210714_SteeringStemBrg4.jpg

craig

VOC Member
Did you check that the headrace adjustment is correct? That is slacken FT225, then slacken pad bolt FT207, then check FT238 is tight without overtightening it.
So I did have to loosen the FT217 pinch bolt and tighten till suitable the FT238 Steering head nut and retighten pinch bolt. looseness did appear after tightening the top spring bolt.
Thank you

ossie

VOC Member
when i first got my shadow in 66 the spindles had seized in the forks and the forks were going up and down on the threads.
i did not know this and was riding it about like it.
when i noticed the slack as i had the wheel off the ground and it rocked too and fro.
the links had a figure of eight holes where the thread should have been i still have them.
use BOC keys to adjust the spindles.
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG

ossie

VOC Member
It looks like SFB "take it all apart first" Craig has misdiagnose the Brampton issue.
It is the slop in link tightness of the Bramptons, which looked to be classic headrace issue.
And now Rapide is all apart - no ride today, did 110 miles yesterday, thought i would fix an easy issue.

It does appear to me that the loose upper FT213 link has actually worn the thread area larger in ID.
Re tightening takes the slop out, leaving FT222 still rotating, and seems a fix for now since i cant find FT213s.

I did put this Brampton front end on a decade ago, but the details are not remembered.
Yes i remember scrapping the head stock paint. putting in rags.
I think i had to put the upper spring bolt in while spring was in place. other wise no fit.
Thanks to all, i am reassembling. PIA
CraigView attachment 43473
i have chrome [well they were] plated washers under them nuts

Last edited by a moderator:

oexing

VOC Member
But when you got only one thread on the steering stem you cannot do a locknut job for adjusting play. Funnily the 600 cc Horex with its Tiger fork had same thread as on Bramptons and 15 years ago I just took the new Brampton spare nut planned for the B Raps and mounted it on the Horex. For adjustments I machined a threaded ring nut about 6mm high for locking the Brampton nut. When you zoom in the Horex photo you can see the locking nut with its holes for a hook spanner. I did same design recently - well, 2 or 3 years ago - for the actual restauration of the HRDs , like to have the locking feature and not just pinch the lot by poorly fitting bits. There are some more places on the Bramptons you want to have perfect fits so it is a substantial job really to have a solid fork, seeing that the bike can do high speeds !

Vic
Horex S 64 , 1935.JPG