FF: Forks Brampton fork details

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Why does the pin exist at the Brampton fork right side axle nut as if it is to provide a stop for the 507 nut?
And it does not stop the nut.

What is the thread size/type of the hole just below the fender stay bolt? it is 5/16"CEI

20210717_BramptonPin1.jpg

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
Why is there a conflict of the Brampton front brake cable adjuster and the right side bottom link?
Should there be a Brampton adjuster?

20210717_BramptonAdj1.jpg

Last edited:

Cyborg

VOC Member
Although the parts books list the balance beam F55 for both Brampton and girdraulic, I do believe they were different. Go to VOC Spares and key in F55 and they list one for each variety of fork. Maybe that’s your issue. The beam location looks different to mine.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Although the parts books list the balance beam F55 for both Brampton and girdraulic, I do believe they were different. Go to VOC Spares and key in F55 and they list one for each variety of fork. Maybe that’s your issue. The beam location looks different to mine.
Correct, the Brampton balance beam has the ends bent forward slightly to allow clearance for the cable adjusters. The wrong balance beam is fitted in the above photo. Also the wrong brake cables are fitted as the long cable should come down the right side and the short cable on the LH side.

Attachments

• IMG_4459 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_4459 - Copy.JPG
    544.8 KB · Views: 26

Shane998

Non-VOC Member
Balance beam bends back slightly then ends bent around Needs to be to clear tubes on girder Needs to be correct so assembly can be done with guard brackets etc Other pic shows 2 types of adjusters I believe the pin near nut on axle is so axle can be tightened with tommy bar

Attachments

• EF750B4C-8787-44CA-8593-DE8511532F3B.jpeg
    EF750B4C-8787-44CA-8593-DE8511532F3B.jpeg
    371.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 4B4F8EDB-5717-4647-910A-C1F518962301.jpeg
    4B4F8EDB-5717-4647-910A-C1F518962301.jpeg
    325.6 KB · Views: 34

Shane998

Non-VOC Member
Why is there a conflict of the Brampton front brake cable adjuster and the right side bottom link?
Should there be a Brampton adjuster?

View attachment 43537
Pic of my mates comet showing adjuster I believe is correct I have never seen these for sale by any parts supplier but not to difficult to make

Attachments

• 7CAC22A9-8908-4122-97B6-735BB48DF528.jpeg
    7CAC22A9-8908-4122-97B6-735BB48DF528.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 47

ossie

VOC Member
Correct, the Brampton balance beam has the ends bent forward slightly to allow clearance for the cable adjusters. The wrong balance beam is fitted in the above photo. Also the wrong brake cables are fitted as the long cable should come down the right side and the short cable on the LH side.
MY Cable has always gone to left sitting on the bike 55 years.

craig

VOC Member
I believe the "skinny housing" early cables would have the Brampton front brake long cable to the right side.
But the heavy housing Girdraulic front brake cables make you go left side.

craig

VOC Member
My F55 balance beam, shown above, appears to be a "bent" Girdraulic version , rather than a Brampton style.
I am remembering the correct balance beam would not clear the Brampton tubes.

So, what does the Brampton axle nut pin E128 do?

It would appear to be expecting a larger AF nut. OR?

MO30PinQ.jpg

Shane998

Non-VOC Member
I believe the "skinny housing" early cables would have the Brampton front brake long cable to the right side.
But the heavy housing Girdraulic front brake cables make you go left side.
I believe standard is for front brake cable to go to the left as described by Ossie But most people I know fit to the right side which give a longer more sweeping curve of cable from brake lever to balance beam It also is supposed to prevent possible fouling of the cable on something that I’m sorry I just can’t seem to remember