FF: Forks Best Paint Finish for Girdraulics?

Tnecniv Edipar

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Just about to commence strip, rebuild and refinish of the Girdraulics on my Rapide. What is the best type of paint or refinishing coating for the alloy blades?
I know that aluminium needs a special primer and final coat. Is there a particular company that is experienced with this work?

Thanks.

Jim Bush

VOC Member
Light bead blast, black epoxy primer and 2 pack polyurethane black in semi-gloss. The polyurethane is advanced formula for industrial use in harsh conditions and used for Fleet paint for trucks, it is more durable than reg 2 pak urethane. Etching does not work with many primers, the light bead blast will provide a mechanical key that is easily filled by the primer, and avoids the show through yellow-green etch when it chips.

Stay with specific system manufactureres, not all paint is compatible, subtle issues like lack of adhesion can turn up.

Many will say powder coat, I prefet to paint. I met with a powder coater yesterday, was thinking of getting the girdraulics and RFM done, I was turned off by the lack of care & interest shown about my job, felt like if it was HD stuff he would be more interested. I am doing my own paint.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Trev told us Halfords do an Etch Primmer,
If you want to do it yourself, Rattle Can,
Feked.com do a nice Black Gloss engine paint, Which came out nice,
Easy to touch up later ,
I did it , But don't know how long it will last.

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Thanks so far guys. I always leave paint to pro's that know what they are doing and have the experience with the various materials. I've always found powder coat dodgy on aluminium, it seems to eventually lift no matter what the prep. Last thing I want is to be stripping the forks down to refinish again in a few years!

kerry

VOC Member
Correct, get a proper sprayer to do it with etch primer and two pack, should last 50 years, minimal cost.

Alyson

VOC Member
I was told years/eons ago that powder coat was micro porous and would allow moisture to penetrate and then it flakes off. Could be it needs a certain application ? Particularly if you live by/near salt air. My preference would always be paint. It's also easier to remove when needed.

Starry Knight.

Forum User
VOC Member
I was told years/eons ago that powder coat was micro porous and would allow moisture to penetrate and then it flakes off. Could be it needs a certain application ? Particularly if you live by/near salt air. My preference would always be paint. It's also easier to remove when needed.
Agree; just look at the base of any lamp post that dogs frequent!

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Yes, thats one of the things I noticed. Also, I fitted some cast aluminium wall lights outside my house some years back, they are, were, powder coated but it has almost all disappeared now. I've seen the same issue on modern bike parts too.