G: Gearbox (Twin) battery mounting adjustment

roy the mechanic

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My c rapide's gearchange is ok from cold, when hot it is terrible. Read about an adjustment in Richardson, but it is not clear what I am trying to achieve, apart from an improvement in shifting. Roy.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Never really understood it my self, when outside nut is in flush with battery spacer tube it's easier to fit ! Then a couple turns out again when footrest hanger stud is through so paralleled up then tighten second nut to lock up. I suppose if this is not done then distortion can occur of the G50 plate (thick aluminium) where the selector shaft goes through to bevel gear / cam plate. What else expands to up set gear changing ?
bananaman.

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
With the battery tray assembly in place you need to wind the outer E 80 nut till it contacts the G50 pate then turn outward another half turn or so, it needs to actually be a very firm outward push on the G 50 plate so when the foot rest stud nuts are fully tightened that the G 50 plate does not distort inward. If this happens it will upset the gearshift, the top of the plate will bend inward even a few thou will upset the shift. Then tighten the inner E80 nut against the outer to lock it.