PR: Proprietary Items battery alternative

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
While I am not a purist (by now that should be obvious) I certainly think a non black battery or an oversize one looks out of place certainly on a Comet
so when I came to that item on my 2020 I thought long on the subject. Until now I have used cyclon batteries from various sources in a dummy case and I have melted a set and also found them to have only a low charge capacity for total loss ( I also wanted a battery I could pop on my KSS to run total loss on the vestigial lights I need to get home after a VMCC club night) anyway I found this
1522241818193.png

1522241623968.png

Its a bit shorter than the standard, but as you can see if I take off the recess of a dummy battery box top it will fit on top of the new battery as a packer.
Its a gel sealed battery so it wont mind sitting on end the square label is a sticker its 11amp hr so not quite enough for an electric leg
Ben says there is probably an equivalent Lithmium but I am not sure how that would go with a walkernator regulator so I got cold feet

Attachments

• 1522240345185.jpg
    1522240345185.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 1522240391324.jpg
    1522240391324.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 1522241580654.jpg
    1522241580654.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 20

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
While I am not a purist (by now that should be obvious) I certainly think a non black battery or an oversize one looks out of place certainly on a Comet
so when I came to that item on my 2020 I thought long on the subject. Until now I have used cyclon batteries from various sources in a dummy case and I have melted a set and also found them to have only a low charge capacity for total loss ( I also wanted a battery I could pop on my KSS to run total loss on the vestigial lights I need to get home after a VMCC club night) anyway I found this

Its a bit shorter than the standard, but as you can see if I take off the recess of a dummy battery box top it will fit on top of the new battery as a packer.
Its a gel sealed battery so it wont mind sitting on end the square label is a sticker its 11amp hr so not quite enough for an electric leg
Ben says there is probably an equivalent Lithmium but I am not sure how that would go with a walkernator regulator so I got cold feet
Look at the Shorai range of lithium batteries. They work any way up and compared to a lead acid battery are incredibly light. They are (unfortunately) incredibly expensive. I have used one for the electric start on my Rapide fitted into a dummy battery box. The one I use just fits in the box but a couple of people in the Coventry section use a smaller size with their electric start. The smaller sizes are obviously less expensive and would probably be OK for your requirement. It all boils down to how much you are prepared to spend. I have removed the kickstart mechanism so I went for the bigger more expensive one kept well charged by a Walkernator. Spare battery capacity is better than only just enough in this instance. There are other lithium battery brands that may be cheaper if you decide to go that way.

nkt267

VOC Member
And the retaining strip under the battery tray mounting bolts,you don't want it going sideways.