And now for something completely different

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Took a photo of one with BMW /5 base, in mid-seventies, when I went to the IOM first time. Still got the same R 69 S , since 1972, from first owner.

Vic
P1040057.JPG

vibrac

VOC Member
Thats not a hub centre steering machine. Difazio have a FIXED swinging arm at both ends steering is via rods to the triangle of tubes that turn the wheel the steering head is inside the wheel
This is what my BMW will look like - except it wont have a fairing I don't intend to hide its ugliness I still have hydraulics, a bit of wiring and paint to do but unfortunately (or fortunately) I have another Vincent to build first
1704566221496.png

highbury731

VOC Member
In the early '90s I did development work on a Tony Foale centre hub bike, built around a Yamaha RD350LC engine. It was a Parker type front end similar to a Yamaha GTS1000. No pics, sadly.

The Mead and Tomkinson endurance race bikes (powered by Kawasaki 1000 fours) were an interesting development from the Difazio. Instead of a kingpin inside the front hub, there is a ball joint. The side carriers for the brake calipers of a Difazio become part of the suspension, with a ball joint at the top and an upper wishbone above the tyre. It greatly lowers the stress on the lower wishbone, and give more consistent steering rake. If I remember correctly, Difazios have way too much trail, the M+T system cures that.

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
As my wife tells me if the subject comes up
"Its an Ugly thing with a turning circle of 35 feet!"

highbury731

VOC Member
The structure of the Q2 in that picture is very similar to the machine I worked on, including the fabricated box section steel members running under the engine to tie the front and rear suspension arms together.

vibrac

VOC Member
Here is a snap I took in my crowded workshop* that shows you the arrangement to operate the steering
* yest that is a Comet chain case bottom left :)
1704724289306.png