What Kind of Ignition To Buy For My Twin, Need Suggestions

CarlHungness

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The headline says it all. I'm mildly familiar with a few of the battery operated systems now being made and looking for advice. I prefer not to use a battery and don't know of anyone other than B-TH who makes an electronic mag for the twin. I've recently heard on good source some B-TH's have been known to cause surging. I can't recall ever reading about this condition, and I've followed the Forum and MPH pretty closely for years. Now I will consider a battery powered system.

vibrac

VOC Member
BT-H is as good as is needed for normal road use we used one for years on the Comet road racing I still have it on my road Comet we also used a BT-H on the racer for the first season (I had it on the same bike on the road for years before) the last season we went for a top end trispark with a programable ignition curve I guess it just about paid for the extra cost weight and complication with a marginal increase in power but we needed a rolling road to find it.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I have a BTH on my "standard" Vincent , because it was there when I bought it, I did have 1 CDI unit fail and had a new one fitted, it was back in less than a week. I have a twin points with the standard ATD on my Norvin because I couldn't afford to have a magneto rebuilt a the time, I have a K2F on my Atlas that hasn't been the slightest problem in over 40 years, a Joe hunt on one Triumph, a Lucas SR2 on another and Lucas magdyno's on my two Brough Superiors, I prefer a magneto to the points/electronic systems as they rely on a good charging system/ battery.

Being as you are in the US you might consider a Hunt or Morris magneto, I think I heard Morris do them with built in advance /retard, not sure if they will fit under a mag cowl though.

greg brillus

VOC Member
No sorry the Joe Hunt or Morris mags are not ideal for a road bike as they stick out way too far......even on the racer it stood out too much........I'd go for a reconditioned original magneto or a Tri-spark.......The Tri spark is cheap enough to buy, simple in that all the parts are within the unit, and you can mount the external 12 volt coil within the mag cowl.......when running they draw about a half an amp, so any charging system will keep up with it........I ran one on my Rapide for some time using the stock Miller genny and a 12 volt regulator........no issues at all.......use the first click possition on your headlight switch for the ignition on/off.

Trickymicky

VOC Member
I started using an electronic BTH this time last year. on a twin.After weeks of poor starting, and being unable to get any sense with the carburation, i removed it, and on the bench found one of the sparks to be very weak. I returned it, but BTH could find no fault, despite it being obvious. They did, however, replace everything, and it came back working.
Starting was still poor, taking an enormous kick to produce a spark, and carbs still fussy. I fitted an original magneto that Bob Culver let me have, and it has been a first or second kick starter since, and the carbs set up perfectly, responding to adjustments as they should. Others seem to have no issues, perhaps i was unlucky.

Albervin

VOC Member
Been using a modern, electronic BTH since 2003. I had to replace a dead coil in 2009 but after another 20,000 miles no problems. I have carried a spare coil for over a decade and given it to two riders. The only answer is set the bike up properly.

greg brillus

VOC Member
No different to racing.........some run mags some run coil........whatever works and gives no trouble thats all you can ask........Is one any better than the other........not at all......... They can all work great until they dont.

Black Flash

VOC Member
@greg brillus
Hello Greg , what about your igintech ignition? I have still too many projects running at the same time so I have not found the time to try it.
Any comment about that ignition?

Bernd