E: Engine What Else Can I Check On My 289's To Deliver Fuel

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
If the plugs are dry then the amount of fuel for starting is probably not enough........Either use the chokes.......or tickle them a bit more.......Do not use both as this will definitely flood the engine. Once the engine starts, pending if you have chokes of not......You should use one or both chokes to help keep the engine running, or else partially choke one carb with your non throttle hand to keep it running........It is probably just a cold engine, so once its running just use some form of enrichment even if its only on one carb to keep it running enough to warm up.........Sometimes just holding the tickler button down on one bowl will keep plenty of fuel up to that carby.

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Time to stick some fuel in a clean washing up liquid bottle and apply directly to the carb wee squirt in each carb and try to start, as it dies squirt again.
I am not a fan of easy start spray.

If successful time to go through the fueling again please ensure you are using new clean fuel.
Feeling your pain we all hope you can get the beast running.
Al

Cyborg

VOC Member
If you have a helper, you could introduce some propane into the inlet tract while you are kicking it over. Less likely to flood the engine if you’re not used to the squirt bottle. I normally just use propane with a running engine to determine if a misfire is fuel or spark related. A bit awkward to use for starting, but at this point…..