T: Fuel Tank What do you think

LoneStar

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Remanufacturing the tank with a right-side filler leaves you the same situation regarding side stand use, only reversed. A standard tank can be filled to top without leaking only if you use the right stand; the altered version can be filled to the top only if you use the left stand. Is the left stand inherently better than the right one?

Richard Beard

VOC Member
Depends which side of the road you ride on.
In UK (and other countries riding on the left) it is more usual to use the left hand side stand as it better suits the camber of the road.
The reverse is the case for countries riding on the right (US etc etc).
Just my two cents worth of course.

vibrac

VOC Member
Its a poor surface nowadays that a Dave Hills stand cant work on. I long ago took off the heavy front stand assembly on my Comet. Back in the 50's roads were built on a camber nowadays certainly in UK roads are flat which also incidentally may account for the mess in the centre where the white lines eat the tarmac. If we were still under the Romans the road builders would be crucified for bad work.

erik

VOC Member
On modern bikes you will find prostands only on the left !I have never seen a BMW with a propstand on the right. So this would not fit perfecly in the German situation! This is remarkable! Erik

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Looks great Erik I have a steel 5 gallon I picked up in a sale last year yours looks much better.
Al

Black Flash

VOC Member
Well Eric, dare I say that when you use the Rh frontstand you keep the oil draining down the pushrod tubes and not collect around the valve stems.
Regarding one of your other posts I hope that you are not creating a problem you are not yet facing by changing the filler neck position.
Let's face it, we both have the same illnes "constant hunger and thirst", losing some stones would greatly improve the fuel consumption and render the actions unnecessary.

Hugs Bernie

erik

VOC Member
Hello Bernd ! I am working on loosing stones since more than 30 years ( I merried 30 years ago) without any health problems . Working on a tank is much more easier ! Best regards from the sunny Rheingau ,Erik

erik

VOC Member
The Tank on the bike!with minor modifications it will fit perfekt.

Attachments

• BE5F15E1-30C0-47CD-8B6D-03E1668667A7.jpeg
    BE5F15E1-30C0-47CD-8B6D-03E1668667A7.jpeg
    365.2 KB · Views: 52
  • D2A85D69-D6F2-4321-9CD3-CA01B94F3710.jpeg
    D2A85D69-D6F2-4321-9CD3-CA01B94F3710.jpeg
    345.7 KB · Views: 52