Twin gearbox

stumpy lord

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Is this a recommended preventative measure?
Yes, it could save you an expensive rebuild . A trip to your local hospital, or a ride in a motor cycle hearse.
Roy was lucky, IT did not lock up solid, and was able to ride it to a stand still. If it had locked up he would have been down on his ear.
Two years ago my son rogers twin locked up following the failure of the primary chain, and yes he and his wife went down the road on their ears. fortunately the traffic on the motor way was light, and every thing stopped. Evan so, Kay his wife, suffered a fractured pelvis.
O.k. the lock up was due to a broken chain, and not a selector pin dropping out. but the results where the same. The price of eight pounds ,and a bit of work, is good insurance.
stumpy lord

highbury731

VOC Member
Yes, it could save you an expensive rebuild . A trip to your local hospital, or a ride in a motor cycle hearse.
Roy was lucky, IT did not lock up solid, and was able to ride it to a stand still. If it had locked up he would have been down on his ear.
Two years ago my son rogers twin locked up following the failure of the primary chain, and yes he and his wife went down the road on their ears. fortunately the traffic on the motor way was light, and every thing stopped. Evan so, Kay his wife, suffered a fractured pelvis.
O.k. the lock up was due to a broken chain, and not a selector pin dropping out. but the results where the same. The price of eight pounds ,and a bit of work, is good insurance.
stumpy lord

I will be adding these pins to my 'to buy' list.

SteveF

Non-VOC Member
Mine dropped a pin and then engaged two gears at once after a massive amount of rattling and grunting. Lots of teeth lying around in the bottom of the box. Fortunately I was going slowly when it finally locked solid. Still, I was in traffic but everyone was very patient as I lugged it to the side of the road. The original gearbox is gone and filled with a Quaife box instead. The selectors are all one piece, nothing to fall out.
I still have the wreckage. Suppose I should stick on ebay at some point, might help pay for the work I'm currently doing.
If there are shouldered pins I would definitely fit them, I was lucky, don't rely on it.

Steve

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Hi, Steve from Conways phoned eariler today. He has all the "shopping list " for me in one go. Sorry to seem like a "messer" but it's easier to get it all at one go. Regards, Roy.