Torque

dewipeters35

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Does anyone know the torque on the cush drive engine nut on the comet. Most people say tight but there again how tight?.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I will hazard a guess at 70-80 ftlbs , of course like the factory , I have no idea. On the hundreds I have done up I just checked the thread & followed my nose (and some washing line in the plug hole) Tight (they say) is Tight ,Too Tight is busted:oops:

Howard

VOC Member
Assuming you're not Hulk Hogan, as tight as you can get it with the right sized spanner (no pipe on the end) and definitely use Loctite. Mine's wired as well - it came undone once (once was too many times) at Cadwell.

H

bmetcalf

VOC Member
A PD35 is handy, too.

471_E.S.A._LOCKWASHER__'D'_thumb.JPG

Howard

VOC Member
Well, you learn something new every day. I didn't know that existed, not on the parts diagram that I've got. Does it replace PD8? How does the short tang locate in the spline on PD4 ?

H

bmetcalf

VOC Member

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
The Spares Co calls it "E.S.A. LOCKWASHER 'D'", so the D ESA pieces must be needed. https://www.flickr.com/photos/9383961@N05/3111771928/in/set-72157611226542865

The C setup is different http://coventryvoc.co.uk/parts_list_drawings/m014.htm

My bike came with a D-like setup. I am not sure if it has true D parts or a one-off that may have been available in the late '70's.

KTB addresses adapting a C ESA in later editions, maybe my bike has that.
Hi,
You can also do the same thing on a twin gearbox out put sprocket, but using your own manufactured locking-plate.(I think you might find that they are available from either the spares company or young Russell) if not they are easily made from sheet steel. The advantage is it gets rid of that awful bodge of center popping the nut. and the nut is positively locked.
stumpy lord

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
After close examination of the Alternative Spare Parts List, diagrams 11 and 23 it seems to me that with a Comet I can simply replace PD8 with PD35 and that "should" facilitate a positive mechanical lock of PD7. So I have just ordered a couple of PD35 and will (eventually) report on the outcome.

Martyn