ET: Engine (Twin) Torque Settings

Geoff12

Forum User
VOC Member
Does anyone have a required torque setting for the crankshaft nut and clutch bolt?

I couldn’t see any in the tech books, but hoping someone can assist.

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
If you are referring to the C20 nut, as tight as possible to the next available slot that accommodates the C45 spring tang, do not loosen to previous available slot.

greg brillus

VOC Member
It is quite acceptable tighten these nuts with a pneumatic rattle gun, however this does not give an actual torque figure as such........look at around 75 to 80 Ft lb's for the ESA nut and a bit less say 60 to 65 for the clutch nut.........just a word of caution to anyone using a rattle type gun on the clutch nut where a Grosset type electric starter is installed........as great as it might seem that the shaft will not rotate clockwise from the clutch end and this may seem great to "lock the shaft" whilst doing up the nut, this can actually do damage possibly to the sprag or transfer gears, but even the relatively small splined center of the sprag clutch........I'm not saying this has happened to me, but i have seen damage to these parts caused by a similar action.......The shock action from a good rattle gun has enough power to do this.........Cheers.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Gregg, i am pleased you have posted this info, I have suffered in the past from the C20 nut loosening in use, an issue now resolved, but when tightening up the C20 nut, and if you also have a Grosset starter fitted, are there any precautions one should take not to transmit forces through the starter mechanism, apart from a big stripdown job can you detach the starter gears and sprag completely from the tightening forces that you are applying.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Hi Peter, Just simply remove the 3 allen head cap screws that hold the starter to the G50 plate and remove the motor out of mesh with the driving gears. I let the motor pinion gear rest just in the mouth of the opening and let it hang there. The motor is not heavy so it does no harm.......Then it is safe to tighten the nut without fear of damaging any of the starter parts........I have found a common cause for the C20 nut coming loose regularly is the C3 carrier is worn on its central spline on the main shaft and this slight movement is enough to cause the nut to keep loosening itself........in the exact way a sprocket nut comes loose because the sprocket spline has movement on the output shaft........Cheers........Greg.

delboy

VOC Member
I think this small spline/mainshaft relative movement is why you sometimes find washer E76 inside the gearbox, chewed up. Also, now and then finding C20 nut loose-but the locking wire still in place!
delboy.

highbury731

VOC Member
If I need to lock an engine to tighten / remove an engine sprocket nut or clutch nut, I find a rope down the plug hole works well. Do make sure that you are going towards compression and the valves are closed.....
Paul

oexing

VOC Member
Some wear on splines is deadly to torqued nuts on crank or clutch shaft. No matter how much you tighten the lot, the forces from drives will be higher in the long run and will lead to a lot less preload on nuts and loose fasteners definitely. You get wear on fasteners from the sloppy splines so you have to think about good means for securing nuts and all. Medium Loctite on threads can be one of them but then you know you´ll have decent spanners for undoing this. With triplex chain on you might find a locking flat steel strip placed diagonally between teeth of crank and clutch sprocket so you can tighten or undo both nuts .

Vic