ET: Engine (Twin) Too much compression ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stu spalding

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The cables I use are about 70 amp - nearly as thick as my Egli frame. :):)
Vehicle Wiring Products do a 16 sq mm multistrand light welding cable which is far more flexible than battery cable and is good for 110 amps. Cheers, Stu.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Back to your original post, what adjustment did you carry out on the clutch...........This seems to be something overlooked after-which the problem started. Something changed to cause the starter to now struggle.

Howard

VOC Member
Back to your original post, what adjustment did you carry out on the clutch...........This seems to be something overlooked after-which the problem started. Something changed to cause the starter to now struggle.

Only mentioned what I'd done, because it seemed to have no relevance. Just cleaned plates, and adjusted it. It turns freely disengaged and engaged with plugs out and it doesn't slip under load. I've since taken it off and checked it - no signs of anything wrong.

Only thing I keep coming back to is how I adjusted the pilot setting/tickover. Someone suggested take plug out of rear and set front to tickover at 1000 rpm, then repeat on rear cylinder, then replace plug and adjust throttle stops. Seemed like a good idea, adjusted front and rear then it wouldn't start on both, now it won't start on one cylinder either. I can't think of any reason why this has caused the problem.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Is it possible the contacts in the solenoid are giving up..........This could happen with no load (plugs removed) on the engine, but returns when normal load on the system. The contacts get hot quickly and the resistance goes through the roof..............Just a thought...............:cool:

Howard

VOC Member
That's my next/last gadget to look at. I'm glad you suggested it because I'd talked myself out of that one. Back to the garage - oh for a kickstart and young legs.

vibrac

VOC Member
That's my next/last gadget to look at. I'm glad you suggested it because I'd talked myself out of that one. Back to the garage - oh for a kickstart and young legs.
Oh for a set of rollers I think
Bought a set added a 4hp motor lights dim a bit when I start a bike:rolleyes: but invaluable -especially when moving the oil round after a rebuild

Howard

VOC Member
Oh for a set of rollers I think
Bought a set added a 4hp motor lights dim a bit when I start a bike:rolleyes: but invaluable -especially when moving the oil round after a rebuild

I said that to someone this morning. Silly thing is, there'll probably be someone at the track with rollers. :(
:(

Mark Fisher

Non-VOC Member
Only mentioned what I'd done, because it seemed to have no relevance. Just cleaned plates, and adjusted it. It turns freely disengaged and engaged with plugs out and it doesn't slip under load. I've since taken it off and checked it - no signs of anything wrong.

Only thing I keep coming back to is how I adjusted the pilot setting/tickover. Someone suggested take plug out of rear and set front to tickover at 1000 rpm, then repeat on rear cylinder, then replace plug and adjust throttle stops. Seemed like a good idea, adjusted front and rear then it wouldn't start on both, now it won't start on one cylinder either. I can't think of any reason why this has caused the problem.
I was just about to move on and read the next post and then I had a thought (quite rare!) because if I'm reading this correctly all this started after a carb adjustment? So what I can point out is that on my shadow with 8-1 pistons the starter will only Turin the engine over with throttles closed, if you open the throttle while the starter is turning the engine it will stop. Maybe there's a throttle cable hung up or som other issue. Perhaps try lowering the slides all the way to the bottom to test the theory. My egli has much lower compression so the phenomenon is less pronounced.
Just a thought.
Mark

Howard

VOC Member
OK Cinderella is going to the ball.

Best explanation I can guess at. The battery was on it's way out and down on power. When the battery died and wouldn't charge I assumed I'd overloaded with too high a load and it wouldn't recharge. I was using a car battery and jump leads after the bike battery died, and it seems that the cheap and cheerful leads were breaking down. New battery arrived at 3 o'clock and everything started to fall into place. Engine turns over faster than it's done for months.

Thanks for all the ideas, they've kept me going for nearly 3 days. :):)

Howard

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Ron had this years ago, On a German rally, He was getting involved with the Starter and a German Chap came up and said, " It's the Accumulator " !, Battery. Cheers Bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.