The Bike Insurers

pifinch

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
First post for quite a while, apparently new laws in UK say that even if your bike(s) are sorned, you must still insure them or face a penalty, I cant ride at present so when the Carol Nash renewal came through I thought I would try for a cheaper quote - If you watch bike racing on the tv every break is swamped with adverts for the cheapest online guaranteed (Any Bike!) via "the bike insurers" when you try to query their quote of £9860 for a Rap as opposed to C/N's £280 for a Rap & a Duke (on separate policies) they put you on hold, then the line goes dead, the second time you try to ask for the guaranteed lower price your call is diverted to the underwriter who has quoted £9860 & has been told that you wish to proceed with the transaction!!!! I wonder, has anyone else had dealings with this biker friendly insurance service? - I have NO convictions, accidents or anything else, so Carol Nash got the money, sorry for rambling but got angry!

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
All that I have read regarding the new continuous insurance regulations tells me that if the vehicle is on Statutory Off Road Notification then they are not required to be insured. You might want to have some theft insurance even if it is on SORN in case it disappears from your shed.:(
The new regs aim to stop the accident situation where one or more of the vehicles has no insurance. As is often the case with these "catch all" rules the law breakers will still be uninsured anyway.
Regarding the "Bike Insurer" TV advert it sounds like they cheapest claim doesn't live up to their "guarantee". It pays to shop around and get a few quotes.

First post for quite a while, apparently new laws in UK say that even if your bike(s) are sorned, you must still insure them or face a penalty, I cant ride at present so when the Carol Nash renewal came through I thought I would try for a cheaper quote - If you watch bike racing on the tv every break is swamped with adverts for the cheapest online guaranteed (Any Bike!) via "the bike insurers" when you try to query their quote of £9860 for a Rap as opposed to C/N's £280 for a Rap & a Duke (on separate policies) they put you on hold, then the line goes dead, the second time you try to ask for the guaranteed lower price your call is diverted to the underwriter who has quoted £9860 & has been told that you wish to proceed with the transaction!!!! I wonder, has anyone else had dealings with this biker friendly insurance service? - I have NO convictions, accidents or anything else, so Carol Nash got the money, sorry for rambling but got angry!

timetraveller

VOC Member
I think that you will find that this is not a new law but there were discussions about such a change which did not materialise. Regarding the false advertising it sounds to me like a case for the Advertising Standards Agency but I imagine that they will have to receive a formal complaint before they will act.

John Cone

VOC Member
How i understand it is: If the bike/car is MOT'D and taxed and the insurance comes up for renewal and you don't renew it you must declare it as SORN and surrender the tax disc.

vibrac

VOC Member
I have said this before but if you are not using a bike and just insuring for fire and theft DON'T just add it to your 'riding' policy without reading the small print mine said they normally only pay 50% of agreed value without a valid MOT I had to get a separate laid up policy to cover myself.

len.c

Non-VOC Member
If You like Vivaldi's Four Seasons for what seems like hours contact Footman James for there laid policy, probably cheaper to contact them by E mail ,I have found them to be quite reasonable ,Although as with most ins companies it pays to shop around,in my experience if you stick with one company for to long there prices creep up Len.c

Len Matthews

VOC Member
If You like Vivaldi's Four Seasons for what seems like hours contact Footman James for there laid policy, probably cheaper to contact them by E mail ,I have found them to be quite reasonable ,Although as with most ins companies it pays to shop around,in my experience if you stick with one company for to long there prices creep up Len.c

I asked FJ if they had any other recorded music-"No, it's the only one we've got"