T: Fuel Tank Tank painting recommendations

Goffy998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have a Rapide tank that I want repainted & am looking for recommendations from people who have had good work done on Vincent/HRD tanks, to original standard, preferably in the south of England.

Albervin

VOC Member
Kass race paint Kettering not cheap but top class
He said original standard not concourse 2 pak + gloss . So many people forget that coach painting was just enamel coats of paint rubbed down, painted rubbed down etc. My Riley is black and was painted then "flatted" then buffed. You can swim in it and just enamel. It is more difficult getting the lining right but that info is all on file. I will agree though that a coat of petrol proof clear is beneficial for the tank.

vibrac

VOC Member
I had a velo tank done last year wonderful job even if it was a special favor by a car painting mate (good enough for a Velo :-0). petrol proof... except under the cap was the termination of the layers the "petrol" sneaked in to the under coat down the neck and for 2 inches under the paint to raise a bubble of paint 3inches wide and 2 inches deep then I saw it and stopped it. Then I stripped away the neck and bubble and repainted it leaving the neck and cap clear been Ok since but its worth watching if you get a job done by someone who can paint but hasnt done bike tanks much

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Yes I've had this and what is needed is 2 pack primer, people not used to doing bike tanks don't know this and just use ordinary primer, the same goes if you have a porous (as opposed to leaking tank), a big blister appears

Len Matthews

VOC Member
I have a Rapide tank that I want repainted & am looking for recommendations from people who have had good work done on Vincent/HRD tanks, to original standard, preferably in the south of England.
FD Motorcycles, Dunmow Essex have done some Vincent tanks for me with good results. Phone 01371 876027