FT: Frame (Twin) Suspension and Handling Upgrades

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
WARNING. I heard yesterday evening from a Norfolk member that there is a problem with the JE kit supplied to him in November last year. The threads in the two stainless steel bolts which hold the concentrics in place and which take the FF53 bolts at the top of the spring boxes have been machined as M8, not 5/16 BSF. I have five kits left over from the last batch of 20 which were made in the autumn of 2022 and have checked the remaining ten bolts and they all have the same fault. It seems likely therefore, that the whole of that batch of 20 will be faulty, I will chase up the manufacturers on Monday but in the mean time if you have a kit which you bought in autumn last year and which is not yet fitted please do not try to force fit the FF53. I will post more later when I have news.

timetraveller

VOC Member
OK chaps. I have just seen the machinists and they accept that it is their fault. They hope to have all 40 replacement bolts from the last batch of 20 steering head made in about two weeks time. In the mean time please contact me if you have bolts which need replacing. If you have used a large spanner and forced the FF53 into the bolt head then you will have destroyed the thread on that bolt as well and we need to replace that as well. Sorry about all this chaps but they have made over 310 of the steering heads now and this feature has remained unchanged for all that time. I have been back and checked earlier bolts which I have kept for my own use and they are ok so it seems only to be the last batch of 20.

timetraveller

VOC Member
OK Chaps. I now have the replacement bolts for the ones wrongly machined as above Two UK based members have had their bolts replaced and two are now on their way to Arizona. Greg in Australia will need ten but I have plenty more so if you have the wrong ones please email me on enw07@btinternet.com and I will send some to you,