Burman Clutch Sticky Meteor Clutch

G

Graham Smith

If unused for more than a couple of days, the clutch on my Series 'A' Meteor sticks into one solid lump.

Therefore with advice from @roy the mechanic and @delboy I've just bought some replacement Surflex clutch friction plates from Feked.

Have also ordered a couple of new plain plates from the Spares Company - the really thick one (PR50-6X/2) with the rebate that sits at the back, plus the thin front one (PR50-6X/1) that sits against the Spring Plate.

Hopefully the new friction plates will stop everything sticking together.

Will report back once we find out.

IMG_4712.jpeg
IMG_4713.jpeg

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Graham, what oil are you using in the primary chain case, it sounds very much like it could be an ATF problem, I know time and time again people recommend its use, but I would avoid it like the plague, there are quite a few other designated oils for use with wet motorcycle clutches, I use either Motul or Mobil.

lee_812d

VOC Member
I put new Surflex friction plates in my Comet and they stick. The ones I took out were possibly original (at least 60 years old) and they didn't stick but they were worn and slipped at top speed even with the springs wound in. I'm using the same oil as in the engine because of the transfer across into the primary side (that might not be so bad now the engine has been worked on but haven't had a chance to tell yet). It works ok once it is free but takes a bit of effort to unstick.
I read about running with 4 may help. Might be that we need the springs as loose as possible without slipping in top gear.

Marvel

VOC Member
My clutch sticks if left a few days too. I just kick it over with the clutch pulled in and it frees off when it comes up against compression.

Last edited:

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
I used a Surflex clutch. Four friction plates and nearest the gearbox one thick and one thin plain plate together to give me the right height. The other thick plate outemost to give greatest engagement at full lift. Ordinary engine oil.

erik

VOC Member
I have no prewar bike but I use the special Harley-Davidson primary drive oil .No stikking clutch plates and a very quiet and soft gear change in my Comets. Erik

lee_812d

VOC Member
I have a Harley which I use the Formula+ oil in the primary and that has no issues - I was going to consider using it in my Comet.