Steering damper 1953 on....

nickthehod

Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Folks,

It looks like I have a random combination of early and later steering damper pieces hanging around under my girdraulics. I have a drawing for the early type but not the 1953 onwards type as recommended by Eddie Stevens.

Could any of you wise folk post up a link to a drawing/photo for the later type to aid me in my re-assembling? I feel my debit card groaning again....

Happy New Year to you all

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Nick,

This is the '53-0n double-disc steering damper (all stainless one) with friction faces lightly abraded and the rest polished. The assembly order, from bottom to top, is:
Spring plate at bottom>
3 Pronged Plate (prongs upwards)>
Friction Disc>
Pan Handle>
Friction Disc>
Top Plate (external protrusions fit over large one on 3-Pronged Plate)>

Note that in the second photo, the Spring Plate is shown at the wrong end. This is because it fits better that way while unassembled on the shelf!

I don't doubt that a hydraulic one is better, but I've only been messing with Vincents for about 45 years and I've never had an issue with the original style double-disc variants. (That's not surprising really as I also like and use Lucas magnetos, Miller dynamos and Amal remote-float carbs. If I wanted a modern bike I'd buy one). :p:)

Peter B
Bristol, UK.
STILL WANTED: Series A Front Frame - even a Twin one would do!

2014-03-20 09.03.37.jpg
2014-03-20 08.55.12.jpg

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Peter, Looks a super job, How much ?, I tried a standard one like this years ago, And found one of the discs worked it's way out to the side !!, Do you supply a special centre block to go with the double disc type, Cheers Bill.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Bill,

The discs don't fall out of mine! The 2 smaller prongs on the 3-pronged plate are further round by 10 degrees; this holds the complete assembly snug and in line. :cool: No special centre-block required; the FF21 (which I think you are referring to) is the same as in the earlier single-disc variant. The only important safety feature I would draw attention to is the 968 1/4 washer - this is a larger OD than a std washer and it this that prevents the whole assembly crashing down on to the mudguard in the unlikely event the top damper knob comes off for any reason. (The 968 washer hangs up on the internal tang of the FF24/1 in this event).

Peter B,
Bristol, UK.
STILL WANTED: Series 'A' Front Frame

Two Disc Damper Assembly.JPG

nickthehod

Forum User
VOC Member
Wow, what a wonderful lot you are.
That is exactly the info I needed. Thank you Peter for those great clear photos. I now know that I am missing the three-pronged plate. No wonder I could not make out how the friction discs were separated!

highbury731

VOC Member
I have just been trial-fitting my '53-on steering damper as made by Peter B. It's beautifully made and the parts fit closely. Not tested in action, mind...

A_HRD

VOC Member
That exploded diagram looks familiar.......

:oops:Dick, it should do! It's the one you sent to me many years ago when we were discussing associated technical issues. Take a bow, sir. :cool:

Bill, under forum rules, we cannot discuss/advertise commercial arrangements for the provision of parts. I any case, I have long since given-up making post-war Vincent bits for sale (Highbury bought his damper ages ago). Anyone who wants to discuss this further with me should click on my 'avatar' and 'start a conversation'.

Meantime, I am pleased to have helped-out Nick with the information he required to resolve his conundrum…:)

Peter B,
Bristol, UK.
STILL WANTED: Series 'A' Front Frame