ET: Engine (Twin) Starting a twin

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
However unless you have two spare plug holes you still have two compressions.:( Better not to have to find either.

My spec: "B"Rapide, BT-H magneto, 28mm Mikuni carbs.
Cold startup: Petrol on, choke levers pushed down, decompresson lever pulled in, push the kickstart down, release decompression lever towards the end of the swing. If it didn't start 1st of 2nd kick you had the chokes off, the petrol off or you were out of petrol.

Ah, Snetterton with that slightly uphill start to catch out the lazy pusher.;) Brother John only got caught out once. In mitigation, we had a gearchange problem with the 'beam so he was waiting for the flag to drop with it stuck in top gear.:oops:
Here is a first for me, a reply to my own post!
I meant to add that when I wrote; "If it didn't start 1st of 2nd kick you had the chokes off, the petrol off or you were out of petrol" I was talking about pre-2017 as last year I fitted an electric start and have removed the kickstart. It starts even easier, no kicking.:cool:

Gerry Clarke

VOC Member
Funny how they all can be so different. The C Rapide we had possessed (and still does possess) another individual but very reliable starting ritual. Chokes were never required. In fact, I removed them completely and found that the cable runs for the thottles and valve lifter could be made very smooth. There's very little room up in there. Anyhow, no chokes. Fuel on at one tap and hold down each tickler for two or three seconds. No need to pump them and no need to spill out petrol. Raise lifter and kick over a couple of times. Listen for rear carb. sucking and just ease over compression. Then, the damn thing required a good quarter or one third throttle. This resulted in a first kick start from cold.

Gerry

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I have not tried quarter throttle, It's funny after so many years there are some things you tell yourself you must not do !, Or it will kick you.
As for using the tickler, I try not to use it too much because I have just cleaned it !!.
I will have to sell my Twins and build a Soft Comet !. Cheers Bill.

Gerry Clarke

VOC Member
Forgot to mention I had long ago removed the ATD and fitted a manual A/R with slack wire advance. Always retarded the spark about a third for starting.

Gerry

Roslyn

Non-VOC Member
My Shadow I know will be a while before I can start it again still sorting timing out on it but it was always a first kick starter before I took the mag off to get it repaired.