Stainless rims.

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello,
Just rebuilding this wheel with a new stainless rim. An oddity appeared in that the old spokes are in two different lengths.
After much pondering this is because the flanges have different bolt hole/spoke hole alignment. This makes building the wheel more of an thinking exercise.
Also with the new rim the short spokes are OK but the long spokes are rather short, this must have something to do with the
new rim drilling.
Have now checked the stainless spokes that I replaced as they kept breaking, these were in the wheel originally, they are all the same length 8 1/8"
Now I am confused suggestions please.
Regards John.

John,

The spokes should be all the same length on the same wheel. This should work fine if you copy the original pattern. I have done 18", 19", 20" and 21" wheels, including a 20" rear and the spokes have always matched each other on the respective wheels.

David

john998

VOC Member
Hello David,
Quite agree spokes should be the same length on any given wheel, my problem looks to be that the flanges are not a pair. If you line up the bolt holes in the flange the spoke holes are approx 10 degrees out to the another flange. The spare flanges I have line up OK.
This means that to use the misaligned flanges you will need 20 spokes of one length, and 20 of another. In this case 20 at 8" and 20 at 8 3/8"
The simple thing to do would be to use the spare flanges but this would mean buying a new set of spokes, and plating the spare flanges, this goes against the grain for a tight Yorkshire man.
It also looks like that depending on the way you start the lace up that you can avoid the outer spoke fouling on the heads of the inner spoke.
Have started again with all the spokes slack, will let you know how I get on.
Regards John.

davidd

VOC Member
John,

That is a new one on me! I have never had a mis-matched flange.

Good luck with the lacing.

David

john998

VOC Member
Hello,
The wheel went together with no more difficulty that an inexperienced wheel builder would expect.
Once the different length spokes where put in the correct order.
This problem is probably due to me mixing up the 2 pairs of flanges at the last rebuild in the late 90s.
Have had a look at the other wheel and the spoke flange hole do look staggered, a little hard to judge
short of stripping the wheel.
Regards John.

Alan J

VOC Member
I had a stainless rim and spokes fitted to my much travelled outfit!-Before long cracks appeared round the "dimples", I went back to steel! [in the back wheel] Whatever spokes I have had professionally fitted occasionally break-sideways stresses on an outfit I think are much greater than on a solo!

john998

VOC Member
Hello Alan,
Yes an outfit is cruel on all cycle parts. The only other wheels I have built where for my outfit, 15" alloy Acront non flanged. They have stood a few years service so far without problems.
Next clean they will be carefully looked at.
Regards John.

john998

VOC Member
Hello,
The saga continues. On attempting to fit the tyre to the new rim I could not pass go, the rim would not go into the tyre for the first stage. Normally this goes on with a rubber mallet if using correct lubricant. My first thought was that the problem lay with the new tyre, so tried old tyre, no go.
On measuring the rim found it to be 1/8" larger in OD, and the well to be 1/8th smaller. This is not much, Is it enough to make a difference? or am I getting more stupid as well as weaker as time goes by.
The suppliers of the rim ask me to return the wheel and tyre,and now say that they fitted the tyre OK. All for no extra charge.
Now wondering if it will ever come off again. Thoughts please.
Regards John.

vince998

VOC Member
You shouldn´t need security bolts any more then ;-)
Hello,
The saga continues. On attempting to fit the tyre to the new rim I could not pass go, the rim would not go into the tyre for the first stage. Normally this goes on with a rubber mallet if using correct lubricant. My first thought was that the problem lay with the new tyre, so tried old tyre, no go.
On measuring the rim found it to be 1/8" larger in OD, and the well to be 1/8th smaller. This is not much, Is it enough to make a difference? or am I getting more stupid as well as weaker as time goes by.
The suppliers of the rim ask me to return the wheel and tyre,and now say that they fitted the tyre OK. All for no extra charge.
Now wondering if it will ever come off again. Thoughts please.
Regards John.

davidd

VOC Member
John,

As long as the beads are up on the shoulders I would not worry aboutn it. I think the tire can accomodate such a slight increase in diameter.

David