ET: Engine (Twin) Spindle dimensions

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Can someone tell me the standard diameter of ET30 and ET156/1? Mine measure 0.3742" and ) 0.5005 respectively. I need to know what oversize I need for a good fit. I think I can use Loctite on the ET156/1 but which one, 620 or 660?

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator

greg brillus

VOC Member
I'm pretty sure the holes in the cases are 0.375" and 0.500" The new spindles I have here measure at 0.375" and 0.501" so the 1/2 inch spindles have about 0.001" interference and the 3/8 spindles are pretty much on size. I would say the interference is in the spindle and the case sizes are a standard nominal size. Of course there are oversize spindles available in different amounts, however.......The amount of oversize is usually too much, so you generally need to linish this oversize down to what you feel will be enough. This takes some guesswork, as it is all too easy to install one that is still too large for the hole. It is pretty common for the hole to be larger at the mouth than it is deeper down the hole. From my experience if a spindle can be slid into the hole with no amount of slop but a nice sliding fit, then an extra thou on its OD

greg brillus

VOC Member
Sorry about that........Ok, On it's OD should be enough. Do not be tempted to make it too tight, as it will take extensive hammer blows to install. On the cam spindles it can almost split at the top of the hole too. If the smaller spindles are a slide in fit, then give them about 2 to 3 tenths over that size. Linish them down in the lathe using a good length of emery tape and check the dimensions often, as new emery will take metal off reasonably quickly. It might sound odd, but it pays to have a couple of oversize spindles in case you go too far........It can happen easier than you think. Heat the area as best you can, being careful not to heat other spindles near by as the heat will ruin their hardness. Last pointer.......use the cam itself as a distance piece to get the depth of that spindle the right height, remembering to add one of the 1/2" E 95 shim washers as a distance piece, and leave a good 0.005" clearance, no less. Cheers............Greg.

Albervin

VOC Member
Sorry about that........Ok, On it's OD should be enough. Do not be tempted to make it too tight, as it will take extensive hammer blows to install. On the cam spindles it can almost split at the top of the hole too. If the smaller spindles are a slide in fit, then give them about 2 to 3 tenths over that size. Linish them down in the lathe using a good length of emery tape and check the dimensions often, as new emery will take metal off reasonably quickly. It might sound odd, but it pays to have a couple of oversize spindles in case you go too far........It can happen easier than you think. Heat the area as best you can, being careful not to heat other spindles near by as the heat will ruin their hardness. Last pointer.......use the cam itself as a distance piece to get the depth of that spindle the right height, remembering to add one of the 1/2" E 95 shim washers as a distance piece, and leave a good 0.005" clearance, no less. Cheers............Greg.
Thanks Greg. The camshaft spindle is a "tight push fit" so I think Loctite will do. I will order a standard and a 1 thou o/s follower spindle. Now to look at the rockers themselves as I am sure a couple of them are originals.

Albervin

VOC Member
Along the same vein. Are there any issues in using the original alloy, idler gear boss? Should I replace it with a steel one?

stu spalding

VOC Member
Along the same vein. Are there any issues in using the original alloy, idler gear boss? Should I replace it with a steel one?
I've had the spindle come loose in an alloy one so it's probably no bad thing to replace it. Having said that, I bet there are riders out there who've had no trouble at all! Cheers, Stu.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Any time the timing chest is open it is always good to upgrade on items that "could give trouble" I hate having to redo things later just for the sake of a few more dollars. I always install those modified valve lifter seal kits on all engines too, amongst other things.

Albervin

VOC Member
Any time the timing chest is open it is always good to upgrade on items that "could give trouble" I hate having to redo things later just for the sake of a few more dollars. I always install those modified valve lifter seal kits on all engines too, amongst other things.
The valve lifter kit is already on my list. It made a huge difference on my Rapide with oil mist on the RHS. Now I can wear jeans without a problem of oil stains.