sparkplug indexing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kansas Bad Man

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
If you have two identical mechanical timings of a engine and the intense and size of the initial ignition varies, this changes the acceleration of the two burns, therefor ,this changes the point of ideal fuel expansion, which is the purpose of timing, that is to put the max expansion in the right spot or relation to piston location in the cylinder. Magnetoman is presenting the idea that the quality of the spark means nothing A SPARK IS A SPARK, LOL---

PS Ok guys take your pick as to who is right, I really don't care.

Cheers--Max

Magnetoman

VOC Member
Magnetoman is presenting the idea that the quality of the spark means nothing A SPARK IS A SPARK, LOL---
Max, once again, you are wrong. I wrote nothing about the "quality" of the spark. My previous post only pointed out the faulty logic you used that resulted in you incorrectly believing the temperature of the electrode changed the timing. However, based on various things you've written about ignition in this and other threads, I'm afraid we wouldn't find much to agree on with those technical issues, either.

Persistence can be an admirable trait in certain circumstances, and you certainly have been persistent in this thread. However, it is not admirable when you have dug yourself into a hole but persist in digging ever deeper. It's not just that many of your ad hoc arguments for particular details have been wrong, or that you blithely go forward without addressing errors when they are pointed out, often your arguments are not even self-consistent. It's as if you cut/paste sections of various technical writings that don't even necessarily apply, without noticing what you put in one post is contradicted by what was in a previous post.

Maybe these are OK techniques when trying to "win" an argument, but they are a waste of time and energy when trying to arrive at a correct understanding of something, such as whether or not indexing plugs affects h.p. Understanding something requires more than stringing a bunch of technical terms together. Mother Nature rewards understanding, she doesn't reward stringing words together.
Ok guys take your pick as to who is right, I really don't care.
Finally, something we both agree on.

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
The temperature of the electrode, before ignition when it is hotter then the combustion chamber after the cooling wash is a factor in changing the timing of fuel burn expansion. The hot electrode heats the immediate surrounding Fuel/ air particles. when these particles are heated that gives the ignition of the fuel/air mixture a pre heat and along with the additional pre heat caused by compressing makes for a larger start flame kernel which accelerates the burn more then it would have with out the additional hot center electrode pre heat. The timing of fuel max expansion in relation to piston location in cylinder s changed.

I think you are the one that is tying to win the debate by belittling my person at every operating.

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
Magnetoman, as we have opposing views on just about every thing, I right something and you go out of your way to disagree and we go back and fourth at times throwing barbs , this is why I left jtan I personally don't need it. If you would agree to not respond to my posts, I will do the same and not respond to yours, we play like that one another doesn't exist. I think with this
agreement the forum would not look so much like jtan and would be a happier place to shoot the shit and have fun talking about our toys. This proving who is right or wrong is getting tiresome to me to the forum and I hope to you, so the simple solution is my proposal , how about it Magnetoman, I can live quite happily with out you and I'm sure you feel the same.

vincenttwin

VOC Member
I just indexed the. Plug on my prewar comet and guess what ,it does feel like 2HP more pointed the gap between the Valves .
Or maybe it was just the new piston and then again maybe just the new plug . But it goes better than it has in years .

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
You may or may not be experiencing the flame ANGEL theory vincenttwin. There has been much experimenting with the Chevrolet small block wedge combustion chamber as to which direction the entire plug should point for best controlled full fuel burn. The reason I say this I have found that the plug open end should be pointing toward the exhaust valve on a Vincent.Anyway indexing usually cant be felt by the seat of your pants but in your case it is possible, depends on how much you have ridden the bike and how familiar you are with its beaver.

HAPPY AND SAFE RIDEING ------MAX

PS check and see if you are getting better fuel mileage, could be and indication of a more complete burn due to the indexing.

Albervin

VOC Member
I note the definition of "Forum" in the UK is A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged:
While in North America it is A court or Tribunal.
It is important to understand that as individuals we all have an opinion, whether it is right or wrong. We need to respect other people's opinions
irrespective of whether they are correct or not.
The moderators have a duty to maintain decorum as well as thread continuity. At the moment this thread is on the edge of both boundaries.
Thank you.

vibrac

VOC Member
Is it me or is there a sine wave with a cycle duration of about 4 weeks acting here?

Status
Not open for further replies.